Northern Maine Lonely Planet top 10 destination article

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like we need a gathering up there.

http://www.mpbn.net/News/MPBNNews/tabid/1159/ctl/ViewItem/mid/3762/ItemId/25033/Default.aspx

For those who havent been to Baxter or the region around it this an another reason why you have to plan to go there. Hard to beat August and September up that way and with the new rolling reservations system at Baxter, you a have a good chance of getting some real special places in the park. Dont let the folks who dont like paperwork or have an "attitude about reasonable rules" dissuade you, once you drive in the gate you will know why its worth the initial hassle.

For Starters, Wassatquoik Lake Island Shelter, reserve it and you have your own private island for the night which is accessed by a canoe that is left there

Davis Pond Shelter - Reserve and entire Basin complete with 100 foot cliffs on either side and 3 or 4 glacial tarns for the night. Plus visit one of the 10 ten outhouses with a view in the US.

Wassataquoik Stream Lean tos, two remote lean tos overlooking a wide spot on Wassatquoik stream, I watched a couple of otters playing around in the water one early morning.

South Branch Pond Shelter on the south end of the Pond. This is a paddle or hike up spot set on the opposite end of the pond from the campground.

New Katahdin Lake Shelters - Hike in and then paddle at two new shelters right on the lake and check out the new trail that heads between the Turners.

Go check out newly reopened Northern Peak Trail (reminiscent of a presi traverse)

What's the ' newly reopened Northern Peak Trail'??

Runs from Hamlin out over the Howe Peaks and then down to Northwest Basin trail. The section that went from the North Howe Peak down to Russel Pond Trail was closed to due to a signficant blowdown for 10 plus years (Some argue it was also closed as the IAT had run their route over it without permission.) For the last few years the trail above treeline was just an out and back. While up there Labor day, I saw some new signage and the ranger at Chimney Pond confirmed that it was open pending installation of a few new signs.

Last edited:
You would think it was a great piece of liberal propaganda based on the comments.
I saw one or two comments with some mention of liberal but my read of the comments was that Mainers agree with the listing though sketpical of things that change "life the way it should be." I agree with those who fear that the industrialization of skylines can degrade the connection with the outdoors that people enjoy in Maine. I also agree there is a lot to see, if you like the outdoors, and make typically two or three trips north each year.

I love Baxter State Park. Been up there on 6 different 9 day backpacking trips since 1998. Been to most of the paces you mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Sure would like to get back there. Last time was 2009. I am way overdue. Maybe this will be the year!