A bigger High Peaks Wilderness?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The proposal also would require the state to close a long dirt road that leads to Boreas Ponds, which are among the former Finch holdings that the state intends purchase over the next five years."

At this point and for a variety of reasons it's highly unlikely the road will become wilderness. A mile South of the Boreas Ponds there is a 10’ plus dam which collapse would have the three ponds look much like Marcy Dam and Duck Hole since Irene, the 6-mile plus between the Blue Ridge road and the dam is a long up and down route without any views few would care to walk even once, the idea is to have the area accessible to a variety of individuals not just the fittest among us, etc. Still visitors would need to walk or paddle at least one mile to get to the first ponds and walk many more miles to appreciate fully the Boreas Ponds area as a whole. This is a huge piece of land surrounded by vast State Lands (North River -Allen - Boreas -Wolf Pond) rarely visited by hikers to this day which would be just about inaccessible to most if to reach its tip one starts with a 14-mile return walk at minimum. Haven’t the taxpayers of New York State approved of the deal at their expense hoping to be able to enjoy the acquisition at some point? Will not the same taxpayer be more willing to contribute to even more land acquisitions if they have manageable access to land so acquired?

Not every pond needs a road to it. How would we feel if there was a road to Moss Pond? (And yes, I realize there is limited paddling on Moss Pond). Some places like Allen should always be far, far away.

How many thousands of kayakers are going to go there? (I'd be surprised if it's more than a couple of dozen on weekends) Can't establish any type of business to rent kayaks nearby (maybe in Newcomb) & the paddle from the "proposed compromise" flow to the ponds is unlikely to become an ADK classic paddle. Do many hikers hike to the ponds? Probably good for seeing wildlife & seclusion but of limited value to peakbaggers, yes?

I like the compromise.

"of limited value to peakbaggers, yes?" ABSOLUTELY NOT! Just looking at map one cannot fail to notice the number of peaks accessible from the Boreas Ponds. Henderson Lake is now a busy but still peaceful place in the summer because of its breathtaking scenery, the same and even more so can be said of the Boreas Ponds. Mind you the nature of the drive in, if that is what is decided, will be a rather slow going affair effectively limiting traffic. The eventual carry between the flow and the ponds should be extremly short. In my opinion the Boreas Ponds loop will instantly become an ADK classic paddle! There is plenty to explore for one or several days and the scenery is nothing short of spectacular.

The issues are quite similar regarding the Essex Chain of Lakes which may open to the public as soon as next year:
http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...rness--Wild-forest--Canoe-area-.html?nav=5008

However, based on public statements by DEC officials and what the stakeholders involved are hearing from DEC, the state appears to be seeking some kind of middle ground.

"It could be a combination of wilderness and wild forest," DEC Division of Lands and Forests Director Rob Davies told the Enterprise in August during a tour of former Finch lands near Indian Lake

Last edited:
Accessible, isn't every peak accessible from any place in NY? How accessible is the question? Since you're talking wilderness, we are very unlikely talking new trails to Allen or Blake & Colvin. Looks like it would be ideal for camping along a scenic waterway in the middle of nowhere with good views of these peaks. I don't forsee reading many trip reports of high peaks climbed this way except by the real hardcore.

Last edited:
When the State first acquired the Santanoni Preserve there was great concern about overuse. When that proved not to be a problem, camping and other restrictions were lifted. I thus agree with DSettahr that Boreas Ponds are too distant from the higher peaks to likely be overused. From the ponds there could be a shorter route developed to Allen, but this would not be significantly shorter to Panther Gorge than from Elk Lake. I also think that seven miles is a long way to push a wheeled canoe carrier, and I don't think many do that for the 4.5 miles to Newcomb Lake even though that road is smoother and flatter than the road to Boreas Ponds. I believe I am correct that car top boats actually pose little danger in spreading invasives since the boat is thoroughly dry by the time it is launched.

I therefore favor the DEC's initial plan to keep the road open at least to LaBriere Flow and perhaps to the old cabin, from which it is just over 1/2 mile to Boreas Ponds. DEC has also suggested setting the wilderness boundary north of the dam at Boreas Ponds so as to be able to maintain that structure.

There is significant local opposition to these purchases - opposition that will only increase if there is the perception that access will be severely limited by terrain and distance. Governor Cuomo has promised to acquire the 50,000 acres over five years if the funding is available, but politics being what it is that funding could go elsewhere.

And while I am not going to advocate for more access than described above, I don't believe it would be the "end of the Forest Preserve as we know it" were the DEC to create an inholding to preserve the lodge at Boreas Ponds with lodge guests allowed to drive to the lodge. Such an arrangement would effectively defuse the handicapped access issue since from the lodge handicapped individuals could travel by boat much farther into the area.

Tony,

Agree with you assessment. Read a laughable comment elsewhere about portaging or using a canoe carrier for the 7 mile trip to Boreas Ponds as a viable option.