High-Pointing in the Conch Republic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
I went to Key West for a week and decided to high-point while there in case it ever successfully secedes from the union; I'll have it done. It was pretty exciting since there's no trail, thus requiring an extensive bushwhack, but I'm not sure of my actual elevation. I'm told the summit is at 13', present as a slight hump in the middle of Old Town, but I'm pretty sure the mound of dirt I conquered between the entrance to Fort Zachary Taylor and the port area just to the west beats it at a solid 15' - easy. I'd post more photos but the views weren't that exciting, what with all the cigar smoke in the air closing in around me and all.

486150_10151564771908957_1810792554_n.jpg

558866_10151567102163957_1831426677_n.jpg

It's good to be back! :)

Awesome, such a fun place! Did you catch any of the street performers at sunset on the boulevard? My favorite is "The Cat Man and His Flying House Cats". The cats jumping thru flaming hoops is only half the show, the cat man himself is pretty darn entertaining!

Awesome, such a fun place! Did you catch any of the street performers at sunset on the boulevard? My favorite is "The Cat Man and His Flying House Cats". The cats jumping thru flaming hoops is only half the show, the cat man himself is pretty darn entertaining!

I did. I didn't see the The Cat Man, per se, but I did see among the many sights at the Mallory Square Dock and along Duval Street (especially the west end) skilled tumblers, many musicians, and of course a man atop a unicycle juggling flaming batons. There are many colorful people down there, that's for sure -- a wild a crazy place, day-in, day-out, 24/7/365 from what I could tell.

Wow, I'm not sure I would venture out in that much sun, not to mention the humidity.......shudder....

Hope you find lots of good leaf piles to hide your beacons in. Make sure they cover recommended raking technique for extraction :p