Fastest way to Conway?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
What's the fastest way to get to Conway from Rt. 93? I'm used to going up and around the Whites (Rt. 115, Rt. 2, etc) but there must be a faster way to get to Conway. I have to pick up some boots at IME before going up Washington.

SherpaKroto said:
mongoose: I usually just bite the bullet and head up 95 to Rt 16 (Spaulding T'Pike) at the split in Portsmouth.
I never used to think this was the fastest way, but this weekend I may have finally been conviced. It's fairly quick once you get past Rt 25 and you avoid potential weather problems going over the Kanc.

-dave-

Goose - if you mean from 93 ABOVE Manchester, i always just peel off on rt. 3 right after Cannon then turn right/east on 302 at Twin Mt./Foster's. You have to backtrack through Crwaford Notch and Bartlett, but it seems faster and more direct than jumping off at Ashland exit and winding your way through the lake hamlets (the way i was originally told to go many years ago)... ;)

Since I am still kinda new to hiking and driving in NH (And since I just looked at a map and realized that Gorham isn't by Franconia Notch.) Doh!!!

What is traffic like taking Rte 93 up to Rte 3 then Rte 115 - By that I mean, are we basically speaking of getting stuck behind an 88 year old couple doing 35 in a 55 mile zone or is it streams of hundreds of cars and backed up traffic.

Also, Anybody else coming from Leominster/Sterling Area? (Mark151, I think you are from this region, yes?) is it quicker to take Rte 13 up to Manchester to get on Rte 93 or take Rte 2 and then 495 up to Lowell to Rte 93. I only drove this once on my way to Moosiluake early on the day after T-day, so I don't really know what regular Massachusetts traffic is like around here.

Oh, and PS what is it like on 5PM on a Thursday evening - Should I add 2 hours to the mapquest time of 3.25 hours?
Thanks
Rick

I agree with arm.

I could tell you the fastest ways to get to any of the mountains from 93, avoiding Conway. But I couldn't really tell you how to get to Conway the easiest.

From what I have experienced, in the summertime, the Kanc to Bear Notch to 302 to 16 is the best way to get to North Conway. Not sure about this time of year.

So many variables determine the time - I've had good luck going 93 to exit 23, then 104 to 3(?) to 25 to 16, if it's early enough and the locals and tourists aren't out and about yet.

I pick up 93 around the Briston/Meredith exit, and I find that either going across 302 or crossing the Kanc, or skirting the lakes are pretty much a crapshoot. I've lately been opting to go across 302 and through Crawford Notch because its faster more open driving, which feels shorter and is less frustrating to me than creeping along on the slower roads. I like the views on the northern route best, and there's the added bonus lots of long open passing zones for defeating the 20-under pokey problem.

I like taking exit 23

I think Rick asked if anyone came from the Leominster/Sterling MA area. I live in Leominster and I have found that going up I-93 to exit 23 and then going through Meridith NH to route 25 east to Route 16 is the route I like best. Of course all routes are bad if trying to go on a Friday afternoon or evening.

Also for Rick: I have also found it easier to go up route 13 to 101 and get on I-293 in Bedford/Manchester NH. I just feel better actually going north instead of driving down route 2 or dealing with the traffic on 495.

Last edited:
Woody, Thanks for the advice. Eveytime I look at my map, Rte 13 just seems to make more sense.
Also, I think I will try the route through Meredith on the way up via 104/25/302/16.

SInce I plan to come back Sunday Afternoon, I might just take that Kanc Road as it seems like it might have some good views (According to my road map)

Thanks
Rick

I've taken Rt 4 East in Concord to Northwood and then 202 to Rochester and Rt 16, pretty good but there can be some traffic at rush hour.

The route through Merideth is the way to go, Ive clocked them all a hundred times, although I would go the Kanc route on occasion because I love the highway and the lack of all that stop and go via the Merideth route. If I go the Kanc route though, take Dugway road at the covered bridge, coming out on west side road to circumnavigate Conway, that is the key to the Kanc route.

I 93 Icing

Slight deviation form original question but...is it my imagination or is I-93 more prone to black ice (esp. around Plymouth) than Rte 16? Wondering if Rte 16 is a "safer" option given the recent spate of freezing rainy weather. Almost had a one-to-one meeting with The Big Guy recently when I drove onto black ice in this area last week.

Dugway Road is dead; long live Passaconaway Road

Both ends of the former Dugway Road, at the Kanc and at West Side Road, are signed "Passaconaway Road" these days. The only mention of "Dugway" that I could find along the length of it was for the Dugway Picnic Area.

Now I think I'll go bug the AMC to bring their maps and WMG into the 21st century too.