cool view of Everest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The interactive view is addictive. The best where's waldo ever. I've found a ladder bridge, people on the trail, advanced base camp?
I can't stop zooming around. Awesome.

It made me so dizzy!

If you know where to look for the Camps, you can pick out a lot of activity around them!

Cool link, Fuzzy!

The story behind the image that Fuzzy linked to.

The image is the result of a project by David Breashears, who has already climbed the highest mountain in the world five times. He used old images of Everest and its glaciers and combined them with new ones.

A friend sent me the Breashers pic earlier today. What a nice, high res image! Having spent two weeks in Pumori base camp (where this view is from), the pic really brought back memories. There were not quite as many tents down in Everest bc in 1992...

Also a nice lesson in how impressive a peak can look when viewed from the best direction. That peak on the right is, of course, Nuptse, which is just under 8KM. From this angle, it looks absolutely spectacular, far more impressive than the much higher Lhotse and Everest. But from Tengboche, Nuptse just looks like a long, flat ridge in front of Everest.

Great pic!

I could not get acces to your attachment, but if it is this:
ufo.jpg

I'm thinking Bar-headed Goose
Known to fly high.

It might also be a Gorak (the local raven, named for its distinctive call). They are the "last birds standing" as you gain elevation in that area. There were a few goraks at our base camp (18,500), flapping like crazy to stay up in the thin air. We saw no birds at all at camp 1 (21,000), although I know there are birds, like the goose, that could fly up there.