Kearsarge North via Weeks Brook Trail 12/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
Had some minor problems with the directions perhaps due to an older White Mt. guide. The guide said to look for FR 317 which my GPS didn't recognize. Found out when we got there it is now named Hardwood Hill Rd. which the GPS did recognize. It wasn't a big deal as it was located just .4 mi. north of Hurricane Mtn. Rd. as the book indicated.

The parking was empty except for us. I didn't see any other tracks in the snow when we returned.

Following the trail in the lower section requires some care as it passes through very open woods and is not frequently marked. Our return was not a problem as I not only had the GPS bread crumbs, but more importantly, Lauky with his nose to the ground guided us all the way back.

There are a couple of blowdowns between the trailhead and Shingle Pond. There are quite a few blowdowns between the pond and the top although for the most part they were fairly easily negotiated.

There was a thin layer of crusty snow at the trailhead which for the most part continued all the way to the top. The open ledges near the summit were basically clear.

The trail was an easy to moderate climb all the way to the bog about 800 vertical feet from the summit. From that point on it was fairly steep with some serious patches of ice. Traction is recommended for that last section.

The trail for the most part is quite smooth under foot. It passes through mostly open woods and above the pond borders a stream for a ways. It appears to be lightly used and although longer it is a superb alternative to the more popular Mt. Kearsarge north trail.

It was beautiful on top and quite warm in the fire tower. The views were spectacular. From car to car we saw no one else all day long.

Mileage: 10
Elevation gain: 2700'