Grivel G-10 Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
I have been looking for a pair of G 10s and see that there are several variations. Mainly the bindings and antibot plates. Are there recommendations for which bindings are better? I have two pair of boots that I use to hike in winter and both have the notch on the heel for a crampon binding, but, there may be a time when I will want to use them with my three season boots. Other than microspikes, this will be the only other type of traction (excluding snowshoes) that I plan to buy. Also, even if the price is close, would the G-12s be overkill? I'm not planning on anything technical, just the normal winter routes to the NH4ks.

Ian,

The G10 is a popular recommendation for winter 4Ks via normal (non-technical) routes. The G12 would probably be overkill. The strap version works well on flexible boots with the flexible extension bar (will need the long bar for shoe size > 12). I use this exact setup on my Columbia Ice Dragon IIs (size 13). The other versions require a rigid sole with compatible boots for the "step in" bindings to work.

HTH,
Tim

Thanks Tim. I thought that the G12s might be overkill for me although they look pretty meaty and mean. The two pair of boots that I use are some older model Tecnica boots. The Altitude Plus is a rigid sole boot with almost zero flex but that also means that I get alot of heel rub. It has notches on both the heel and toe for crampons. The ones I prefer to use are the all leather Dunagiri. It is somewhat flexable with a notch only on the heel for crampons. The tread on them is quite beefy. Will that matter for the legnth of the flex bars or is it just the legnth of the boot that matters. They are size 11.5. Thanks for your help.

Make sure your G10s have the flex bar (silver) if you have flexible boots. Beyond that, you'll have to try them with your boot. I have the extended length bars and there isn't a ton of room left (1 or 2 holes) with my size 13s, so you'll have to try them on. Lahout's Summit Shop in Lincoln, NH has a full line of G10s and accessories... I found it hard to find them elsewhere, but that was 4 years ago.

Tim