Small Light Winter Tent/ Bivy in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions and need some insight

1) Whats a good small light 1/2 man winter tent for camping below treeline?

2) Does anybody just use a bivy bag in the winter (when not in a lean-to)?

http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/p...8&zmap=61625&gclid=CLXutvqlprQCFdKd4AodiRMAVw , this one seems very good. Since I am a woodsy kind of dude,I got this on the way http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28591 ,this one is only 3.5 seasons but I wanted to go cheap and light.
I usually tarp it but want to make the transition to tents[real ones,not kmart stuff].Thanks for starting this thread!

Actually I have used this tent. The amount of ice crystals that grow inside is truly amazing. It seemed to me that the silicon bath tub fabric became brittle in the extreme cold, so thats why I was looking.....I will check with BD.

I love my Warmlite 2X as a Winter tent but it's not small. Light (2 pounds 10 ounces) but monstrous big. Could hold 3 in a pinch (though ice crystals DO form in some conditions and you'd be rubbing up against the sides). So easy to set up with big mitts, and you're inside and sheltered so quickly! I've been above treeline in the Whites with 60 mph+ winds and it's a home.

I also like the Tarptent tyvek in Winter at just over a pound. Very compact. A little more breathable but as the sides are closer to you, you sometimes get some ice crystal contact. I haven't had any experience with it in very high wind.

I like a good double wall tent regardless. Below tree line a normal tent should be fine unless there's a huge amount of snow and or wind. I'd love a great, light 1 or 2 person winter tent that could stand above tree line conditions, but it's easier to avoid those conditions than it is to find that tent ;).

Actually I have used this tent. The amount of ice crystals that grow inside is truly amazing. It seemed to me that the silicon bath tub fabric became brittle in the extreme cold, so thats why I was looking.....I will check with BD.
hopefully it will work better in the spring..thanks for heads up.Was thinking of using it more as a larger than normal bivy...

hopefully it will work better in the spring..thanks for heads up.Was thinking of using it more as a larger than normal bivy...

Its a great tent in the spring and will keep you dry. The silnylon tub is slippery so its best to put it on a flat spot. There is ample ventilation. Just maybe not the greatest for winter...

I like a good double wall tent regardless. Below tree line a normal tent should be fine unless there's a huge amount of snow and or wind. I'd love a great, light 1 or 2 person winter tent that could stand above tree line conditions, but it's easier to avoid those conditions than it is to find that tent ;).

Well, you can find the tent, so long as you continue to omit any requirement that it be inexpensive: Hilleberg Soulo review.

I've lusted after the Hilleberg line for several years. They have an extremely good rep among people who enjoy camping in extreme weather. They recently established an office out in a Seattle suburb, run by the founder's daughter: Hilleberg USA. If you look at the dealer list on their U.S. website, you'll see it's heavily weighted toward places with big, snowy mountains. This is not an accident.