Your Top Ten Photos of 2012!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is always my favorite thread of the year, and this year is certainly no exception. The images so far are nothing short of stunning. Great stuff everyone! And once again, thanks for getting this started Jim.

I always have a hard time choosing just 10 images, but this year was particularly difficult after being blessed with an incredible year of hiking. We made it to New Hampshire 15 times (with most of them being multi-day trips for a change) along with three trips to Maine including Baxter and Acadia. That already pretty much says how many amazing scenes we witnessed. Add in an early winter business trip to Utah and one in the fall to Montreal and it was all nothing short of amazing. So here goes...

Northern Oquirrh Mountains on the horizon beyond South Jordan from the summit of Snowbird (we took the tram up, didn't hike or ski)
IMG_2466.JPG

Franconia Ridge as we approach to top of Cannon cliffs in March
IMG_2725.JPG

Bloodroot in the Pawtuckaway "secret garden"
IMG_0386.JPG

Some of the millions of blooms in Asticou Azalea Gardens, Mt Desert Island
IMG_0873.JPG

Lupines blooming next to a tidal cove on Mt Desert - for me an image that is the essence of Maine
IMG_0924.JPG

Undercast creeping into King Ravine at sunrise from the ledges at Crag Camp
IMG_3560.JPG

On Baxter Peak after realizing Nat's dream of the past few years to climb Katahdin
Baxter%2520Summit.JPG

Mt Katahdin over Sandy Stream Pond just after sunrise
IMG_1213.JPG

Sunset over Franconia Ridge from West Bond
IMG_4628.JPG

While these are the images that I thought best represent the beauty we've been able to experience this year, they aren't the ones that most sum up the year for me. It was a year of incredible joy that was punctuated by a couple of events of immeasurable sadness. These are the "cheating" extra images that are the ones that I'll remember most.

In April I lost one of my best friends in the world, Brad Bradstreet. Brad was a member of the NH hiking community and a trustee of the Mt Washington Observatory (and its greatest supporter). Brads welcoming and encouragement for me (and many of my hiking friends) when I first joined the OBS forums many years ago is what really got us into hiking and into this wonderful community. There hasn't been a day since that I haven't missed him, particularly any day in the mountains. This image is from Seek the Peak, when all of his "Kilted Clan" hiked Mt Washington in his memory.

Looking for a face in the clouds...
ECO_6336.jpg

This fall we lost another great friend and family member, our dog Jake. He spent 14 amazing years with us and in that time gave us countless days of joy. This image of him is from early last winter with his new best friend Mosey, the Black Smoke Maine Coon kitten that our daughter Jamie got from her boyfriend for Christmas (and one of our new joys)

IMG_2565.JPG

Finally, Nat and I reached the end of a five year journey with a finish of the NH48 on Mt Carrigain in September, joined by our great friend Rex that finished his NH48 and NE67 that day and a group of our best hiking friends. This day and this image aren't about a number of mountains climbed or checkmarks on a list, but a constant reminder to me how fortunate we've been over these years to make so many wonderful friends and to become a part of this great community.

IMG_5063.JPG

Happy New Year and happy trails everyone! Looking forward to many more great years ahead!

Here are my top pics from 2012...

2mit6f.jpg

The view from Signal Ridge Trail on Carrigan - Summer 2012

1zwg7x0.jpg

Georgia and Doc on Cannon - April 2012

2l907r7.jpg

Amy and Georgia on Bondcliff - Summer 2012

p1swn.jpg

Georgia on Adams - Summer 2012

2n1tmkk.jpg

Georgia on North Twin - Summer 2012

71n41c.jpg

Georgia on Wildcat D - May 2012

ojpno7.jpg

Gotta love an orange sign or two :)

These shots are ALL truly amazing! I don't carry a camera anymore but am realizing I was never much of a photographer to begin with, lol... maybe I should think about starting up again.

Thanks, all, for sharing. Keep 'em coming. It's a great mid-afternoon distraction. ;)

Thanks Sunshine Chris :) We always love seeing kiddos out on the trails too! We see more and more of them now.