Needing Current Snow Amounts for Our End of the World Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Planning a big (mostly below-treeline due to the forecast winds) multipeak day on the northern rim of the Pemi tomorrow and was wondering what to expect for snow depths on the trail. We're thinking there has been significant snowfall since on Moriah on the 14th, enough to require snowshoes, but we want to be sure.

Can anyone clue me in to the good ballpark numbers, maybe some one local to the area?

Thanks.

The AMC backcountry trail report is reporting 21" on the ground at Tuckerman Ravine (3,800), and 16" at Carter Notch (3,288) as of this morning.

Also Gray Nob(4,370) is reporting 24" snow depth as of yesterday (12/19).

Last edited:
Thanks for the links!

I was debating on waumbek tomorrow, but the rain has me possibly wussing out.

Thanks for the links!

I was debating on waumbek tomorrow, but the rain has me possibly wussing out.
If you get an early start, you may be back down before the rain.

At least that's my strategy ...

The AMC backcountry trail report .QUOTE said:
Can someone tell me what "flotation needed" on this sit means? snowshoes?"

" Flotation needed" is when the snow depths are so deep, veteran white mountains hikers, slide into a old truck tire tube and secure it around the waist to keep from dissapearing into the depths of snow forever.

Ok it means snowshoes.

It may not be all rain up north and higher elevations as you all know... 20 inches of snow at the stake on Mt. Mansfield in VT, according to WCAX...floatation is also a boating and fishing term!! Hope you enjoy your adventure...

I wonder if spraying them with PAM spray would help with sticking and icing. I do that with snow shovels when the snow is sticky and it makes life easier.

We have done that in the past, with wooden snowshoes - of course metal ones tend to ice up worse

" Flotation needed" is when the snow depths are so deep, veteran white mountains hikers, slide into a old truck tire tube and secure it around the waist to keep from dissapearing into the depths of snow forever.

Ok it means snowshoes.
Or skis, if suitable for the route

Last edited:
I am wondering how much new snow have we picked up after fridays storm? After reading AMC and MTW conditions it appears that yesterdays storm was mostly rain? Is there enough decent snow for some backcountry ski touring in places like Greeley Ponds or Zealand road??

I am wondering how much new snow have we picked up after fridays storm? After reading AMC and MTW conditions it appears that yesterdays storm was mostly rain? Is there enough decent snow for some backcountry ski touring in places like Greeley Ponds or Zealand road??

From what I experienced yesterday there was no rain in the high ups, just snow, but there was rain at the hairpin turn on the Kanc and somewhat higher (with a sleet band between the two), so I would imagine the trails at that elevation, that of Greeley Ponds Trail, would be slushy to crusty, depending on the temps and time of day.

Plenty of snow on the ground to ski. Although it was breakable crust today some hearty souls broke the trails to the ponds today. I put the skis back into the car and just hiked the Osceolas.