Back Country Sking Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montana

Reaction score
Has anybody been out on back country ski/snowshoe combo type day? Looking at any information regarding conditions for Zealand Trail, Lincoln Brook Trail, Moosilauke Carriage Rd. or lower elevations off the west side of kinsman ridge and cannon(Tucker Brook trail area). Hopefully the next 2 days will significantly add to what is there. Thanks!

the playground is ready. After tomorrow it will be READY :)

last Sunday the the base at Greeley ponds was more than enough for ski touring. It was crusty but the snow base was there.

Hancock Notch Trail at the hairpin had far more base (Sunday) than did the Kinsman Ridge Trail at the Tram (Monday). If the incoming storm lives up to 50% or more of its predicted snowfall, we should be in full swing. Right now, however, lower elevations are definitely bonier. Waterville XC is reporting 6-15" in the woods.

Tim

BC XC condix--any updates a few days later 12/28--12/29)

Did you all get your snow up in NH yesterday (12/27) when we got rain in MA?

Was thinking of a ski jaunt up to Zealand Falls hut so wondering about the Zealand Rd and the trail to the hut in terms of enough snow to XC ski.

Thoughts?

We did a quick day trip and hit the x country trails in franconia notch. They groom the trails but we went off the beaten path and got first tracks. There was about a foot of powder at around 1400 foot elevation. From what what I understand there is more snow in the other notches so I would say conditions are good. I would be curious to hear about he Zealand falls trip.

Anybody know if Pisgah State Park (Chesterfield, NH) has some base going into this weekend?

I will ski/hike that neck of the woods tomorrow. Meanwhile the backwoods behind my house are great. Could someone please tell the deer to stop postholing in my xc tracks? :)

We did a quick day trip and hit the x country trails in franconia notch. They groom the trails but we went off the beaten path and got first tracks. There was about a foot of powder at around 1400 foot elevation. From what what I understand there is more snow in the other notches so I would say conditions are good. I would be curious to hear about he Zealand falls trip.

That's great news re the snow levels. I can't go today after all, but wish that I was up skiing Zealand. Maybe I would bump into the infamous ornery moose from a few years back...

Who knows, we may even have enough snow down here in Cambridge to at least hit the golf courses...

Happy skiing all!