has this ever happened to you?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weird_AL

Reaction score
So I have this small hill near me that's really popular for hikers and walkers...nothing big, only a few hundred feet high. At the bottom there's a pavilin for picnicers and scouts to have bbq's...

So a few weeks back i was doing my normal sunday mornig hike, first one there, it was like 7:30. And into the parking lot pulls two cars, out of the cars come a woman in high heels looking like she's dressed to go to a club, and a guy in the other car in sweatpants...They both head off to the pavilion with a blanket to do who knows what...
I let it go, but then the next weekend on my way out of the hike, i actually came across the same two in that pavillion half naked and doing things that should be done indoors.

Now here's where I'm having this mental debate, and I'd love to hear others opinions on this....I feel like it's a public place and they should totally be somewhere else doing this activity...especially that families and kids go there, but part of me is saying just drop it..don't worry, it won't happen again. I called the ranger station which is closed and left a message and left it at that...Should I have called the cops ya think? it's a state park.

Am i being totally uptight about this?

Wow!!! How high was that hill you were on?? Gives Views From The Top a whole new meaning. Hope they don't ban this site at work now......

Seriously there was a big thread on this BC and it ranked right up there with guns and dogs.

Back, when I lived in Rochester NY, I lived close to Mendon Ponds Park and would hike a few miles in the early evenings after work. Several times I saw 2 show up in separate cars and surreptiously step out into the woods acting all giggly and nervous and such... I got a kick out of it.

'Course my wife (then girlfriend) and I worked for the same company so we would take off for Highland Park at noon and eat our lunch together - Always nervous and on the lookout for coworkers - But then again, we always kept our clothes on AND ATE LUNCH!!!!

FWIW, even funnier, when I first moved to Rochester in the early 90's, I didn't know my parks and got a packet of park maps from the county. I'd pick parks and select a trail and go check them out after work - I found out in a hurry that Genesee Valley Park was a place where guys routinely propositioned other guys. :eek: I decided pretty quick that I didn't need to get to know that park...... :eek:

Last edited:
it's called "doing the wild thing"

next time take or pretend to take pictures. if they don't take notice start calling out with some positioning strategies (ie: better photographic angles) like "a little more to the left". if they get mad you can say something like "i wasn't talking to you - ... i was too excited trying to get that snapshot of that rare northern bush wobbler". or you could really take a few precious moments shots and post them up on the pavillion board if there's one! :eek:
hey if they don't give a hooty about showing their booty -

Things that go hump in the woods...

I live very close to the Middlesex Fells Reservation (N. of Boston) and have officially seen everything there.

The list includes, but is not limited to - Beer can scultpures, abandoned fires left burning, monuments to excretion (both pet and human), condoms and TP hanging off trees, sex acts (standard and bizarre), nude sunbathers, illegal reservoir swimmers, BBQ grillers, illegal ATV and mountain bike use, and a guy dumping asphalt shingles( wtf?!). On one occasion I was greeted by a jogger on the trail wearing only a backpack, trail shoes, and an ear-to-ear grin.

All of these disturb me on some level, but the thing that always freaks me out are the men that are looking to boink each other that don't seem to understand that not everyone is using the park for the same reason.

Three weeks ago I'm walking towards Bear Hill, and I had about 4 people following me for about a 1/10th of a mile each. I've got on pack, poles, and boots... they are an array of people dressed for work, basketball, or anything but hiking. I'm taking all sorts of odd turns, speeding up, and can usually outdistance them, but C'MON now... ya never know if someone is a harmless pervert or a mugger - ya gotta give people some space.

One kept up for a 1/4 mile, I turn around ready to spear my pursuer with my Lekis and ask "Do I know you? Why are you following me? I come out here to hike and be left alone."

He responds, "Do you like sex?"

I scream at him, "What is it with you guys? Do you have any common sense?! Can't you rent a F&%$& room? I've been walking here for 15 years and lately it's become "Night of the Living Dead Perverts" I put my arms out and stagger in a 'zombie' sort of way and growl "uururrggghhh More c*ck! ahhhhhhhrrummmm moooore sexxxx".

He looks at me and says "Well! If THAT's the way you feel about it", flips me the bird and walks away staring at me like I'm the biggest jerk who ever lived.

Maybe he was a telemarketer (not to be confused with a "telemarker") on a break ;)

I'm with Shadow Cat, take pictures, be real bad and set up a tripod. I think you are talking about Pack Monadnock, and I've heard of this happening there, especially off season.

This Al would'nt happen to be the Al I know that is into Slayer would it?

To be honest with you, I think I'd rather see some people poking in the woods rather then them littering or putting up some graffiti.

On the other hand, you could have screamed out something like, "OH MY GOD, THAT MAN'S KILLING HER!!" But your best bet is to just make a little noise and let them know you're there to embarrass them and then just move on.

Wu

Weird Al,

it would have been really funny (and I assume totally legit) if you dug a hole a few feet away from the offenders and started answering "the call of nature" right there. When they noticed (you have just as much right to be there, right?) you could have been surprised like, "Oops! OMG I didn't see you there, you startled me!"

Wu

You should lighten up for sure. ONce me and an old flame where cruising through Crawfords and I felt my primal urges call, so we pulled over and ran down to the Saco river. I dont what I was thinking but we walked out into the water and climbed a big boulder and began communing with nature :eek: All was well when I thought I heard voices, I suddenly looked up and 2 kids approached the water seeing us, I grabbed my gal jumped into the water, just as the parents of these young childen emergered from the woods.
The dad looked mad so we crossed to the other side, I waved, and we bushwacked down stream before crossing back and bailing out. LIfe is short, live hard and play hard. :D

Is this like the Janet Jackson boob thing? Who even cares and how many kids are out hiking at 730 am on sunday? And who is close enough to see more than ya did of her boob?

No, Al, you're not being too uptight

Who cares, Tuggy*? The parents of those children quite reasonably cared. So do others. Having regard for others on the trail should never go out of style, though sadly, it often does. If you don't care to some small degree how many kids (or other adults) are out hiking on public land at 7:30 on a Sunday morning, than maybe you should just put a high fence around your back yard and do what you want there.

Imagine the outrage by so many folks here if, instead of doing this, they had had been blasting a boombox or talking loudly on a cellphone? Or on an ATV or a snowmobile?

And as dr. wu002 notes, there are lots of calls of nature that are inappropriate to share with everyone right in the middle of the trail. Sharing the trail means stifling or more discretely indulging in behaviors that others would otherwise find objectionable.

Sorry, sierra, but your and their behavior was inconsiderate of everybody else. I've done a bunch of stupid, inconsiderate things, but that doesn't mean that everyone else should just "lighten up" and accept it.

* "Tuggy"?!? Does this mean we should use caution in encountering you on the trail even if (especially if) you are alone? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Rights and responsibilities

Is it right to expose someone of lesser maturity to someone's adult choices? As a parent, I don't think so. You have a right to do whatever is judged legal by society but I don't think anyone should violate my right to have a pleasant wilderness experience. I think for the most part adults shrug or laugh off this stuff (I think Colin Fletcher wrote that he backpacked naked in the Complete Walker) but when it comes to subjecting kids to it we should give second thought. If I had been that father, I think I would have had the same reaction. After all the parents are the ones who have to deal with the questions/aftermath. I think the bottom line is that we have rights but we must be responsible as well.

When the Dartmouth kids arrive in the fall and learn how to hike and bike and such, we occasionally see that kind of public display of "affection" up here. Kinda funny. Some of them think they're really out in the woods when in fact they're in full sight of our living room windows and front porch. We've been known to pull up a chair, spectate, and applaud (when warranted).
;)

Yo Bob

I have no idea what hikling is. I also have no idea why in the world I would build a fence around my yard. Nor do I have any idea why anyone would need to use caution about meeting me anywhere.

bob

dude your really uptight period, doesnt take much to set you off does it? You must be from the city.

<< Sharing the trail means stifling or more discretely indulging in behaviors that others would otherwise find objectionable.
Sorry, sierra, but your and their behavior was inconsiderate of everybody else. I've done a bunch of stupid, inconsiderate things, but that doesn't mean that everyone else should just "lighten up" and accept it.
-- afka_bob >>

Call me uptight too. I echo bob's comments word for word.

Happy trails --
Uncle Butch

There's a time and a place for everything, pure and simple. In some situations, such as a reeeeeally remote location, I might laugh. But if it's a very public place, where kids could easily come across such a thing... not cool at all.