Greeley Ponds Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Is the greeley Ponds Trail open all the way to the ponds from Livermore road? If not, are the river crossings passable? If the bridges are out, are there fines for crossing the river? Just trying to get to the Kanc brook XC trail.
thanks.

As far as I know the trail is officially closed. Not sure what it would be like on skis right now, but plan for the worst.

I just found out that there is a $5,000 fine for going past Knight's bridge. I guess i may try the route in reverse. I'm a little concerned about going down the part that I skin up! It is narrow and it might be fast with no bail outs.

I was looking on the WMNF site to see whether the Kancamagus Brook Trail was one way (as I seemed to recall), and discovered that the trail has simply disappeared from their XC Skiing/Snowshoeing page.
I tried to check the page referenced and the whole page is AWOL

I think that if both Greeley Pond and Flume Brook Trails are closed it's wise not to mention Kancamagus Brook as most people won't want to ski down and back, but I don't remember it being one way

I guess i may try the route in reverse. I'm a little concerned about going down the part that I skin up! It is narrow and it might be fast with no bail outs.
I have skied down it in the past. In deep snow, it isn't hard, but I wouldn't want to do it if the snow is fast.

The trail was maintained by an individual whose name I do not know. Given the current closure of GPT, it is likely that it hasn't been maintained. I have climbed it when there was a lull in the maintenance--it was significantly harder than usual due to a large number of blowdowns on the trail. I wouldn't want to ski down the upper climbing section if it were littered with blowdowns...

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is a sign declaring the trail to be closed.

Doug