Seeking Advice on Zipper Repair

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
The "pull tab" on the slider of my jacket zipper has broken clean off. :(

Does anone know if the slider can be replaced? The teeth are fine. It's a Columbia - any experience with their repairs department?

Here's a pic:

DSCF1111.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0[1].jpg
    0[1].jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 104
If there's still a loop where the pull tab used to go find a small key chain loop. You can then attach something larger to the loop to get a grip with gloves.

Sometimes you can get a replacement slider and sometimes you can even get the slider on. One method of getting the slider is to buy an identical zipper and remove the slider. (Note that many sliders are not removable.) Avoid a used slider--it may be worn internally.

If you are unable to replace the slider, there are two options:
1) Cut the stitching holding the zipper on (using a seam ripper) and sew a new one on. This may be impractical in some cases, for instance if it opens a down tube. Examine the stitching carefully to see that you can do it before beginning.
2) If #1 is impractical, cut the zipper teeth off leaving as much of the tape as possible and sew a new zipper onto the tape. This is generally easier than #1. Unfortunately width of the "zipper zone" will be a bit wider than the original.

And, of course, one can always follow Tim's suggestion and have a professional do the work.

Another place is Penny S's shop: http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/ (Penny S was the fabric guru of the now-defunct USENET group Rec.backcountry. She appears to have a very good reputation.) Also places like REI do repair or can refer you to a repair place.

Doug

If there's still a loop where the pull tab used to go find a small key chain loop. You can then attach something larger to the loop to get a grip with gloves.

Thanks for the responses - seamstress/seamster (?) is what I was thinking.

Stash - wish it still had the loop, as that would have made this a little easier but no such luck. That pulled off as well.

Funny you just posted this. I just sent back my Bugaboots to Columbia this afternoon. Right boot was digging into my ankle. Cost me $20 to send them UPS to Oregon :eek: I hope to hear back from them in app 10 days. I don't know about their repair dept but I'd try what the others suggested before spending more $. Good luck

Doesn't take long to put in a zipper. Bring it to the pros.

add from the gear doc

Broken Zippers?
Blown Seams & Busted hardware?
Ripped & Torn?
We can stitch, bar-tack, serge, snap,
grommet, rivet & glue, just about anything.
But, it has to be CLEAN.

the GEAR DOC
2991 White Mtn Hwy
10a - 5p Mon - Sat
& by appointment
North, North Conway
603 - 662 - 4690
e: [email protected]

Thanks for the good suggestions here.

I've dropped the fleece off at a local tailor who will repair for $18. It appears he can replace the slider without replacing the teeth which would be my preference.