Osceola's - January 5, 2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG Rob

Reaction score
We pulled into the trailhead lot just after 8 with one car in ahead of us, a temperature of 24, overcast skies and clouds racing by at a pretty good clip. While suiting up another 4 vehicles arrived and the lot was filling fast. Tim and I had snowshoes on right from the start. I’d keep the shoes on all day while Tim swapped back and fourth in the steep areas. Soon we were cruising out the Greeley Ponds Trail on a well-packed snowshoe track with maybe an inch of fresh snow. Throughout the day we’d come across maybe 18 hikers in total, most with crampons or micros, some carrying snowshoes. Although the trails were roughed up a bit here and there, mostly in the wind blown areas, I can’t say there were any postholes.

Early on the Greeley Ponds Trail
IMG_0010.JPG

All stream crossings were easily negotiated, well, except for one, but hey, everyone’s entitled to one face plant early in the season. ;-) Thirty minutes into our day we reached the Mt Osceola Trail Junction and stopped for a quick snack. A group of four came in right behind us and we spent a good part of the day with the guys.

Hampton Hiker with Sherpa Tom and his gang of Trail Bandits
IMG_0030.JPG

Starting up the Mt Osceola Trail we were starting to feel the winds and could certainly here them above. Some parts of the trail had been drifted in and as we made our way into the steeper parts there was no hesitation to take advantage of the heal lifts. We’d raise and lower them as needed throughout the day.

When we came to the slide, those with crampons went straight up and those with snowshoes crossed over to the left side staying close to the trees.

Slide – first challenge of the day
IMG_0065.JPG

Hampton Hiker working those MSR’s
IMG_0073.JPG

Just before we hit the ridge / view point Tim and I chose to pull on a layer. With hoods up and mitts on we spent a few minutes at the viewpoint. Long distance views towards the Franconia’s were clouded but we could see blue skies working their way in. It didn’t take long for the winds to chill us down so off we went on our way to East Peak. There was tons of snow up there and we had a good track to work with.

On our way to East Peak
IMG_0086.JPG

Here comes the sun!
IMG_0093.JPG

Soon after we passed East Peak the clouds began to give way to blue skies and the views started to pop. Looking over to Waterville Valley it didn’t look like anyone was there. Too windy?

Waterville Valley – not a skier to be seen
IMG_0105.JPG

Across the Hair Pin to the Hancock’s
IMG_0108.JPG

Working our way up the chimney towards Osceola’s Main peak one brave sole went straight up while the rest of us chose the bypass.

Joe (a.k.a. Spiderman) makes his way up the chimney
IMG_0121.JPG

Hampton Hiker climbs above the chimney
IMG_0135.JPG

Light at the end of the tunnel
IMG_0145.JPG

When we hit the summit the winds were blowing pretty good and the thermometer on my pack said something close to 10 degrees. We took a few pictures and ran for cover. A quick lunch stop on the way back to East Peak and we motored our way to the car (mixed in with few unintentional and a few more intentional butt slides coming down the steeps). Most that carried snowshoes chose to wear them on the way out so the trail we left behind was fairly well track out.

Next time we leave the crampons at home and bring the sleds!

Slide show

Nice report. I love the pics.:eek: You guys had a good day for photos compared to what we had on Sunday although I will take the better temps on Sunday that we had on Liberty and Flume.

Nice report. I love the pics.:eek: You guys had a good day for photos compared to what we had on Sunday although I will take the better temps on Sunday that we had on Liberty and Flume.

Thanks Chris!
Definitely a day to take quick pics and keep moving. I think our lunch break was something like 6 minutes! :)

Yes Rob, excellent photos! May I ask your present choice of camera? I recently killed another and am unhappy with the replacement I chose! Hope to see you on the trail agian sometime!

Thanks Dave. I'm using a Canon SD600 that we've have for 6+ years. Amazing that it's come home frozen, soaked and it still works.....:rolleyes:

I too hope our paths cross again soon!

Great pics of a great Mtn and great hike!!! Good job!! Thanks

Thanks jjo!

great pictures

Thanks ChacoTaco!