Emergency Shelter Room at Lake of the Clouds Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
( OK, Now I'm XXX, too, I knew that an employee name tag would sooner or later dish anonymity.)
Hi XXX, there is a delete key you know

Thanks for taking on this research which as in my experience often proves inconclusive or contradictory

A few facts of which newer hikers may be unaware:
* At one time all AMC huts had a refuge room open for off-season use, Miriam Underhill for instance hiked the Bonds in winter from Galehead. Vandalism and increasing use killed the idea - how many folks might show up on a typical weekend these days?
* There was once an emergency Quonset hut at Edmands Col which arguably has more exposed escape routes than Lakes, it was removed by the FS when it became a planned destination and would fill over capacity on any excuse
* The road to the Cog Railway Base Station didn't use to be plowed, so anyone bailing out Ammo would have to walk out to Rte. 302

Hi everyone! This is my first post. Been hiking ( and lurking) for awhile. :) My wife, Fran, one of my dogs, Darwin, and I hiked Washington via the Ammo on Sunday. I can definitely say that the Dungeon is open. I had been following this thread before we went do we looked inside. Definitely open. Hope this helps!

Chris

Thanks for the tip, Tim. Two of the things that have disturbed me over the years as a migrant to this area have now been combined in one thread:

1. There are 60-80 million people living within a day's drive of the White Mountains. "You could look it up."
2. Peeing on the side of the road occurs at a frequency that remains shocking and disgusting to this Minnesota boy. Including in my own residential neighborhood, which sits right off a Rte. 16 exit.

:(

Hi everyone! This is my first post. Been hiking ( and lurking) for awhile. :) My wife, Fran, one of my dogs, Darwin, and I hiked Washington via the Ammo on Sunday. I can definitely say that the Dungeon is open. I had been following this thread before we went do we looked inside. Definitely open. Hope this helps!

Chris
Thanks, Chris - and welcome to the sunlight!

Ah yes. The Dungeon. I did spend one hellish night there eons ago during a midwinter traverse (purposefully done in the face of an Alberta Clipper), choking on the urine-rime vapors that haunt it's bowels. It's also permanently COLD, a bone-chilling, life-sucking cold that will haunt your soul the day after. You could run 5 stoves full blast and drink still feel dead-cold, the stone walls laughing at your feeble attempts to warm the air.

And anything you eat tastes like frozen urine. I'm totally serial.

Anyone who has the misfortune of spending a night there won't be back for more or be telling their friends how great it is.

Spent about 10 minutes inside it warming up after a Monroe trip from the Base Station. Weather made the planned Washington trip unwise so the two of us, soloists pair together, opted for the shorter easier peak. Tim's account may be too nice, Since then, I've just opted for finding the side of the hut out of most of the wind. :D

Anyone happen to have a picture of the lock on the door?.

IMG_0974.JPG

February 22, 2013

Tim

Ah yes. The Dungeon. I did spend one hellish night there eons ago during a midwinter traverse (purposefully done in the face of an Alberta Clipper), choking on the urine-rime vapors that haunt it's bowels. It's also permanently COLD, a bone-chilling, life-sucking cold that will haunt your soul the day after. You could run 5 stoves full blast and drink still feel dead-cold, the stone walls laughing at your feeble attempts to warm the air.

And anything you eat tastes like frozen urine. I'm totally serial.

Anyone who has the misfortune of spending a night there won't be back for more or be telling their friends how great it is.
The first time just hearing the name of this place it evoked similar images to this. I remember saying to myself "I don't think that is a place I would want to spend the night". The first time I saw this place I knew it was a place I would definitely not want to spend the night.