Mt. Moosilauke via the Glencliff Trail and Carriage Road - 1/12/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH Tramper

Reaction score
Date of Hike: Jan. 12, 2013

Trail Conditions: We started early, in the dark, and the Glencliff Trail was nicely packed as it was still somewhat chilly (we started our hike in base layers until the rains came and the trees started melting). There was three easy-over blowdowns on the trail. The drainages were open and running freely, but easy to pass. There was no surface ice. That was not the case on the Carriage Road where the once rime-covered trees are now chandeliers of clear ice, and much of the ice extends to the windswept rocks and ledges near the summit (still avoidable). This part of the trail was clear running, though. We also visited the South Summit and that trail was also clear. Glencliff Trail was softening on our descent. The rain stopped but the trees were dripping and shedding snow. We wore rain gear. They may be clear by now, but having left in the morning (off to Tecumseh to hike it), it's hard to say for sure.

Special Equipment Used: Based on the softness of the snow due to the warmth and the rain, we felt snowshoes were needed in order to best protect the tender track. We ran into lots of folks bare-booting and using just spikes, however, and they reported having no problems so it may just be personal choice. Despite the large number of people ascending when we were going down in the morning, the trail still seemed to be in decent shape with just a few postholes. How it was at the end of the warm, wet day after all those folks went back down via a naturally-pounding descent may be another matter. Hopefully people will still wear snowshoes over the next few days until the trail freezes hard. Trekking poles helped with balance on the snowshoes.

Comments: Hiked this one with Bill Robichaud (brobichaud here on the VFTT). This was a Meetup hike I was leading, and Bill signed up, but the others failed to show so it was just Bill and I. Too bad for them, they missed an awesome undercast and a superb hiking day. We ran into several nice people like two ladies from our Meetup group (NE Peakbaggers), Leslie and Sandra I think, we had the chance to meet Trish, young peakbaggers Alex and Sage, husband Hugh, and a friend(?) Samantha I think. Also, we met another VFTTer, Steve...? Forgive me for forgotten names. There were a LOT of folks hiking up as we bounded and jogged our way down the mountain, and we were chatty with more than a few.

Mike "Tramper" Cherim
Nottingham NH