Sleeping pad in winter...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
Just wondering what you all find is sufficient for insulation from snow in the winter. I used my thermarest last year and was cold and was wondering if perhaps it was my overrated bag or maybe my pad wasn't thick enough. Got any experience with this?

I use the standard(?) closed-cell foam pad under my Thermarest. Been cozy comfy that way to -20F.

Closed cell foam?

Hi Jason,

Which Thermarest do you have? I would guess that it is self-inflating? If yes, then supplement it with a closed-cell foam (like the RidgeRest). I use an ugly green military closed cell foam pad it with the 3/4 length Thermarest i have, it's good on ice.

BTW, how did/are the liners working?

Mm

Like the others said.....

The gear list for Denali reccomends a foam pad under a thermarest.

MissionsMan said:
Hi Jason,

Which Thermarest do you have? I would guess that it is self-inflating? If yes, then supplement it with a closed-cell foam (like the RidgeRest). I use an ugly green military closed cell foam pad it with the 3/4 length Thermarest i have, it's good on ice.

BTW, how did/are the liners working?

Mm

Good advice - thanks. The liners work awesome. I pushed them a little hard and do need to tweak them a bit but they were extremely warm. Thanks again.

I use a Thermarest Luxury LE,but no foam pad under it. Rather than the foam,we throw a fleece blanket on the floor of the tent. The fleece is light,fairly compact,and seems to insulate the Thermarest pads nicely. Also makes for a warmer floor surface when sitting in the tent. This seems to work nicely to at least -10. Colder conditions,such as glacier camping,would probably do better with the foam pad. Whatever keeps you comfy is the best method!

Winter pads.

I don't own one of these yet, but have had heard very good reports about these pads. These do not inflate, making them more durable, and they do not require a second pad. I believe that custom sizing is available, and I would opt for a 24" width without the mateable zipper.

http://www.wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=20

A friend has one of these. I don't usually get equipment envy, but these mats are nice; warm and great comfort!

Tony

Last edited: