How small is a GPS these days?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
This article about catching drug thieves seems to suggest that a GPS can be so small that it could be hidden inside a bottle of prescription pain killers.

Is this really a GPS, or is it just a transmitter that law enforcement can use to track the stolen bottle?

If it is a GPS, how small is the actual GPS unit these days?

There's a great TED talk on how little it takes to either confuse or fool a GPS. I wonder how long it will really take before we start seeing "location masking" devices show up on the grey/black market.

They have GPS units the size of the head of a pin now. Not sure if those are publicly available yet.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/gps+tracking.do

This security site has GPS tracking units available.

Here's an article from a year ago re: very small gps units:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/14/worlds-smallest-gps-unit-really-is-small/
Ummm... Head of a pin? I sincerely doubt it.

Perhaps the GPS chips can be made smaller than a dime, but the GPS system requires a much larger antenna and batteries. A logger can store the locations in local memory, but a real-time tracker also requires a transmitter and antenna, which consumes still more space, weight, and power. And, of course, a longer runtime requires a bigger battery.

That said, I believe the current technology supports putting a real-time GPS tracker in a pill vial. (But some pill vials can be pretty big.) I suspect that it would be pretty easy for a thief to detect the tracker-bottles.

Search for GPS trackers for small birds to get info on small GPS tracking systems. I see one listing for a tracker weighing 2 grams. (It appears to be a logger--no battery lifetime is given, but I'll bet it is pretty short.)

Doug

There's a great TED talk on how little it takes to either confuse or fool a GPS. I wonder how long it will really take before we start seeing "location masking" devices show up on the grey/black market.
GPS is pretty easy to jam and jammers are already on the market. (Such jammers are just special-purpose radio transmitters.) GPS jammers are highly illegal. Their use is a federal offense.

Doug

Ummm... Head of a pin? I sincerely doubt it.

Perhaps the GPS chips can be made smaller than a dime, but the GPS system requires a much larger antenna and batteries. A logger can store the locations in local memory, but a real-time tracker also requires a transmitter and antenna, which consumes still more space, weight, and power. And, of course, a longer runtime requires a bigger battery.

That said, I believe the current technology supports putting a real-time GPS tracker in a pill vial. (But some pill vials can be pretty big.) I suspect that it would be pretty easy for a thief to detect the tracker-bottles.

Search for GPS trackers for small birds to get info on small GPS tracking systems. I see one listing for a tracker weighing 2 grams. (It appears to be a logger--no battery lifetime is given, but I'll bet it is pretty short.)

Doug

They're about to get 30 times smaller.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Rockwell-Collins-Reports-Breakthrough-in-Micro-GPS--186974771.html

I read a different article last week but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Oh well. I can only imagine what the defense department has available with their budget and current interest in tracking the general populace.

And I'm aware that RFID is different than GPS. I just thought the article was interesting and somewhat relevant to the topic of wristband tracking devices. :)

That's the chipset. Antenna siize is slaved to the wavelength of the signals (~19cm for the L1 GPS frequency). Consumer GPS antennas have dimensions on the order of 1--2cm--already rather small. A "full size" dipole antenna is 1/2 wavelength long (9cm)--as antennas get smaller, they become less effective.

Note that these announcements are marketing...

And I'm aware that RFID is different than GPS. I just thought the article was interesting and somewhat relevant to the topic of wristband tracking devices. :)
IMO RFID has little if any utility for hiking away from civilization. (It is a short range system.)

Doug

GPS is pretty easy to jam and jammers are already on the market. (Such jammers are just special-purpose radio transmitters.) GPS jammers are highly illegal. Their use is a federal offense.

I just came across some links concerning FCC actions against GPS jammer operators and sellers:
1) http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2013/FCC-13-106A1.html $32K fine (not final)
2) A list of enforcement actions: http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammer-enforcement#JEA

Fines can go over $100K.

Doug