Best trail for Moriah on Sat (1-19-13) M-C or Stoney Brook ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
It looks like I may have a small weather window to do Moriah on Saturady (for my #46/48) or possibly Sunday. I don't like negative temps. Anyone have any suggestriuons as to the best route now or Saturday, Moriah - Carter or Stoney Brook. Both seem about the same distance and book time. The biggest factor for me may be the chance of the trail being broke out. I hike solo and don't break trail unless I have to on the way down or across short blown over areas. I also plan to start early so won't benifit by weekend traffic until they pass me, (which they would). Thanks - Marvin

whoa there buddy, its the responsibility of the first person or group that gets to an untracked trail to break it out, no exceptions. Then post your TR so we can use the trail.:p

whoa there buddy, its the responsibility of the first person or group that gets to an untracked trail to break it out, no exceptions. Then post your TR so we can use the trail.:p
I understand your point. And if its only 1-2 inches then I'll give it a shot and have. But much more than that and I wouldn't have enough time to finish even a short trail (emphysema is a b***ch). I think I'm still one step ahead of barebooters that post hole a half descent broken trail. If the trails not rock hard I still wear snow shoes and try to do my part packing it down. Do I sound to defensive ? :)

Hi Marvin,

Although it was a little while ago here is my TR from the Carter-Moriah Trail. Some sections were pretty steep and there are a ton of false horizons along the way. Good Luck. Message me if you need additional info and I will try to answer your questions. Z

1/5/13

Trail Conditions: "BigEarl" posted a great and detailed report on the Stony Brook trail, which got me curious about the Carter-Moriah ascent. Upon my arrival the trail was broken and packed down pretty well. With recent snowfall the night before I opted to put on snowshoes from the start.

The trail was in great shape with little to no postholes along the way. I noticed that before Mount Surprise there were a few areas where the wind had blown drifts and covered the trail to obscurity. Thinking little of it I continued on past Mt. Surprise and found that the trail was far less packed down from there on. I assume this is do to less foot traffic and much deeper drifts.

Please be advised that although this trail is "broken" the high winds and deep drifts make certain areas of the trail just as unbroken as areas around the barren peaks leading up to Moriah. All open areas are dotted with faint signs of foot and snowshoe prints and many will lead you off trail. The bright blue blazes I saw for the first few miles soon became faint older blazes and once near the summit the combination of rime and snow made them difficult to find.

Special Equipment Required: It is debatable if snowshoes are necessary for the initial ascent up to Mt. Surprise but from there on they are definitely needed. Even with my MSRs I still sank in a few locations. Today's winds made a neoprene face mask and mittens a must. Poles also proved invaluable for both the ascent and descent portions above Mt. Surprise.

Comments: Despite heavy clouds and snowshowers for the first two hours the clouds did in fact break and the view from Moriah's Summit was amazing. In retrospect I think I would have expended less energy and required less time to summit via the Stony Brook Trail. I was the only hiker who attempted this route today and it was brutally cold at times.

I personally love the CMT from Bangor Road - the views from Mount Surprise are among my favorites anywhere.

IMG_9199.JPG

Tim

Actually, Marvin, I think I'd start this one this weekend at Stoney Brook. giving you the benefit of a sheltered woods trail with more probability of broken trail from the start.

It's going to be dang cold and windy, so the longer you can stay in the woods , the longer you'll be able to be sheltered to continue.

I know you want your #46, but at least in this household, MLK weekend has the unfortunate label of < coldest nastiest weekend of the winter>.

Emphysema, COPD, reactionary airway asthma...... personal challenges to be respected. Be safe out there.

the local area did get 3-6 inches yesterday possibly more at altitude, with some skiffs of snow squalls today, so there is loose stuff to be blower pow where exposed. It won't be consolidated, you can take that to the bank.

Day time temps Saturday and Sunday aren't in the basement, but wind would be a consideration. From what I'm seeing, Sunday may be the lull day.

Hats off to you. Be safe .

Breeze

Saturday and Sunday aren't in the basement, but wind would be a consideration. From what I'm seeing, Sunday may be the lull day.

Breeze
Like you said with the wind chill, Saturday isnt looking to inviting, maybe Sunday. I originally wanted to go Monday but that is looking really cold. I'll wait and see. Also looking at Isolation, but I think the shorter Moriah is best for the chance of being very cold. - Thanks

When we did it in Winter, we went over Mt. Surprise, and at the summit, the trail stopped being broken out (towards the Carters). I suspect this is the typical condition in Winter....

Marvin --

For what it's worth, my daughter and I will be trying Moriah via Stony Brook on Sunday too. We may or may not be joined by a few friends, but in either case we'll hope to have boots on trail by 8:00 or 8:30. We're going to try to find the bushwhack from the development that lets you avoid the first two brook crossings.

Shoot me an email <mirabelasunshine at gmail dot com> if you want to talk more.

* UPDATE * - in light of sharply dropping temps & predicted high winds, we're going to postpone this one. Good luck if you go.

Matt

Last edited:
I personally love the CMT from Bangor Road - the views from Mount Surprise are among my favorites anywhere.

IMG_9199.JPG

Tim

I ended up passing on the cold MTK weekend and just did Moriah via CMT on the zero wind, 20F, Super Bowl Sunday. I totally agree with Tim about the views from Mt Surprise. I also really like the variaty of steepness of this trail with short level sections just often enough for me to catch my breath without stopping. Thanks for all the advice -- Marvin