Father, sons die hiking: 4-month-old Lab retriever stayed with them, survives

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, really sad. It is just amazing how fast you can get really, really cold in conditions like that. And you think you can just tough it out, until very suddenly you can't, and you might only have minutes between realizing finally that you are in trouble and losing the ability to help yourself (and so much harder, I'm sure, if you are also responsible for others!!). My only real experience with hypothermia was in basically that exact type of condition, July 19th about 10-12 years ago on Adams. Thanks to the Madison Hut and all its accoutrements (ie many cups of hot liquids and people to cook them up) for being there!

Sad indeed. I'm amazed that the 4 month old puppy was able to survive. It goes to show how fragile humans can be and how much we may take it for granted.

Sad indeed. I'm amazed that the 4 month old puppy was able to survive. It goes to show how fragile humans can be and how much we may take it for granted.
The puppy was "smart" enough to bring a water resistant fur coat. It probably also huddled with the humans to reduce its heat loss.

Remember that wild canids have to be able to survive in weather worse than that encountered by this party.

In contrast, humans are poorly insulated tropical beasts that rely on technology to survive in colder climates.

Doug

Last edited:
Ive only had my dog for 4 months and I know he would die next to me before he left me. Loyalty like that is hard to find. Heck I wish people where more like dogs, the world would be better of if you ask me. Joking aside Im sorry for the family very tough way to lose someone.

Very sad, indeed. There are no words. This should be a reality check for all of us who go out there in the woods at the mercy of the weather.

I read the article about a week ago. I simply couldn't get myself to write a non-emotional response before today.

First and foremost, condolenses to the wife and kids.

What's fun about going outdoors is that things are unpredictable. They keep you sharp by throwing any, and every,thing at you. You do have to adjust to the conditions of the day and deal with them though. If you fail to notice you are in deteriorating conditions after several hours of freezing rain (with plenty of time to realize you're in deep doo doo), have kids with you (and even more waiting home) and a passerby offers you a bail out ride to the lodge and you don't take it...Wow.

If my kid had been with that guy and had died, I would call him up on criminal negligance.

Sad, yes. Preventable, absolutely.

I hate being *that* guy, but someone had to.

Fish

Last edited:
If there was only ONE thing I could say to everyone who walked into the mountains it would be this " Here is a place where for all its beauty you can pay with your life if your stupid, so act accordingly, when in doubt, go home, be safe and come back another day.