Favorite very short hikes in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyPaws

Reaction score
When you don't have the time, energy or equipment to climb a mountain, but still find yourself up in the mountains, where do you go?

A perennial favorite of my family and me is Square Ledge in Pinkham Notch. Or at the very least we'll walk down to check out Glen Ellis falls.

I just hiked the Boulder Path off the Kanc with my dog to break in the new snowshoes (which honestly weren't necessary ... but they were new!) and I'd like to return in summer to scramble up some of the boulders and enjoy a temperature over ten degrees.

So where do you go to get out in the mountains without actually getting on them?

Amy

I used to take my Labs out the Eastside Trail from the Lincoln Woods parking past the Wilderness Boundary to the big pools on the Pemi. They would frolic in the water. They used to run upstream and enter the pools to swim downstream and then do it all over again while I sat with my feet in the water and dreamt of other pleasant days. They are long gone now, but the memory still lingers. RIP Fozzie and Molly.

Angels with furry faces (sm).jpg

Lookout Ledge in Randolph has great views and is always broken out. Its mostly waling through the woods with a sligth elevation gain at the end.

Pine Mountain from Gorham has several great viewpoints but the trail is rarely broken out.

Of course Jockey Cap in Fryeburg Me is probably the ultimate "best bang for the distance"

Bald Mt with or without Artist Bluff

around Lake Ammo behind the Highland Center

other short mt. hikes include Middle Sugarloaf, Black Cap & Willard.

If you were up for a tram ride, exploring the top of Cannon is very nice. can also drive up the auto road and explore the top of Washington.

Little sugarloaf in bristol overlooks newfound lake, rattlesnake in rumney is a quickie and today we went up to cardigan and did some xc skiing, you can do lots of loops up there without ever summitting. Pemigewasset mtn is another usual one for people.

Lots around the Pinkham area : Square Ledge, Brad's Bluff, Lila's Ledge, Lowe's Bald Spot are all excellent winter treks.

The Green Hills Preserve in N. Conway: Peaked Mt. or the Pudding Pond Trail, Middle Mt. Also, Diana's Bath.

In Crawford Notch-Elephant Rock, Crawford Cliff (short but steep), Bugle Cliff, Mt Willard (3.2 mi rt)

Any of the Waterville Valley trails-Big Pines Path, the Kettles, the Scaur, Goodrich Rock ( about 5 miles rt, and my favorite in that area), Timber Camp

There are many more, and if you check out the AMC white mtn guide, you can get more ideas.

Town Line Brook Trail in Randolph on Pinkham B road. A couple tenths long and three waterfalls. Watch your step.

Keep in mind Pinkham B is a seasonal access road. It is not currently the season to access.

Edit: Welcome to the board Amy! Good thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. We'll have to do some exploring! Haven't hiked since October, and I was certainly huffing and puffing on our little loop hike. Maybe these trips can help me get back up to speed so I can do a bigger one. See you out there. I'll be the very slow hiking girl with the little Rottweiler.