Someone please explain to me what this guy was doing.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dehydrator

Reaction score
Last March 31st my wife and I enjoyed a glorious hike up Mount Washington. It was an unseasonably warm day and everyone we encountered was in a great mood. While on our way down towards the Jewell Trail I spotted a guy a hundred yards away walking up the Cog railway with a bicycle on his back. Can someone please explain why this guy was doing this? Was he planning to ride down the snow covered auto road? Anyone have some ideas?

P1140465.jpg

Once a year, a group of people goes up to Lakes with a Rowboat, or a Canoe, right?
It's not an annual event, but it's becoming close to one. The Dartmouth Outing Club first carried two canoes to Lakes of the Clouds and then to the summit as part of the Bicentennial Portage in 1976. The adventure was recreated a few times in the 80's and 90's and since then has become a semi-regular activity, but nothing formal as far as I know.

Someone who works at the Obs or has a friend there who can store the bike. Ride it down the auto road later in the year, put it on a wind trainer for workouts. Just felt like carrying a bike instead of a pack and walking on railroad tracks?

I'm pretty sure that guy is Remi L. I think he wants to bring his bike on top of Mt. Washington on each calendar month, and one of his numerous goals is to bring that same bike on top of Cho Oyu.

This guy is one of the strongest adventurer I know. Two years ago, he took a year off at work and completed, alone on his bike and in LESS than a year (!), a full loop including the northernmost place in both Americas accessible by car/bike (Prudhoe Bay, Alaska), the westernmost place (Anchor Bay, AK), the southernmost (Ushuaia, Argentina), the easternmost (Joao Pessao, Brazil), then he came back home in Quebec, using muddy and dangerous amazonian backroads. He completed that loop too quickly (!), so on his way back he decided to go back to Portland, Oregon, to pay a visit to his friend (just a small detour for him...), then went back south to Texas (for fun...), then came back up north following the Atlantic seacost in order to arrive exactly one year after he left.

Carrying his bike on Mt Washington in winter is a walk in the park for him...

Thanks Meo, I think that explains it. But he waited until the afternoon of the last day of the month to start his monthly Washington climb? What a slacker!