Tuckermans' Snow Conditions Video - Snow Pit Layers Explained

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
A great video by Snow Ranger Jeff Lane, taken yesterday in Tucks, explaining how he thinks the coming rain will affect the snowpack ( hat tip to Ed Parsons on FB ):

Great Link Tim Thanks! It's interesting with increased technology the opportunity for increased learning. For example watching this Video vs. reading the avalanche report. We all learn in different ways. Some better visually than auditorily or visa versa and for some both in conjunction. It would be interesting to compare watching a video vs. reading the avalanche report and it's effect on the learning curve. Maybe for some watching a video that was link to a QR code at a trailhead would have more impact on there understanding of actual conditions. I personally lean more towards the Ludite end of the continuum rather than reliance on electronics with my outdoor pursuits but whom knows for some a different means of presentation may have some overall benefit towards safety.

Thanks for posting Tim! I just got my AIARE I cert this weekend so it's neat to hear the rangers talk about how the layers that we got our hands into are going to change. I hope they continue to do informative videos such as this one in the future (or maybe they routinely do them and I just hadn't seen them??).
Pat

And now for something completely different.

Understanding snow layers is indeed important and interesting. But on every video, shovel, loupe, ruler, thermometer, snow saw, crystal card and slope meter, there should be a warning permanently attached:

"LEARN TO RECOGNIZE AVALANCHE TERRAIN FIRST BEFORE USING THIS EQUIPMENT". ;)