Looking for suggestions for a 2 person 4 season tent.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a 2 person 4 season tent. Something I can put my dog in (a Lab) when I go winter camping. I have a Hilleberg Akto now which is great. It's really cramped trying to fit my dog in it though. I'd like to get a Hilleberg Nallo 2 but they're so expensive, $625! Does anyone have suggestions for a cheaper tent? I figure when I camp in the Whites I'll always be below treeline so it doesn't need mountaineering durability.

I have an old EMS Pampero, which is somewhat similar to the old MH Trango assault. Found it on eBay. My point is there are some bargains out there if you look. I've seen some good candidates for you on eBay or Craigslist not all that long ago - TNF Mountain 25, MH Trango 2, TNF VE 25 for example. None of these are light, but they are pretty stormproof. I know mine is - 5 poles, two vestibules.
Here's what it looks like, I also put up a couple of photos in the Winter Campsite Photos thread-
IMG_2153.jpg

Last edited:
VE 25 is a great choice but only if you have a dog or two to pull the pulk. ;) (I have a much-treasured VE 24 which was the immediate progenitor.) The other two were my first two thoughts as well.

Something to keep in mind, which you may know already – some of that 4-season engineering is dedicated to shedding snow loads, which can be mighty useful even at low elevations in the trees.

I'll look around on ebay and see what I can find. In the meantime I'm going to experiment with my akto some more. Maybe if I make a little sleeping bag for my dog he'll sleep at my feet. The last time I camped with him he curled up next to my chest and kept pushing me off my mat.

I had (sold recently) an OR Exped Andromeda II tent and it was the bomb!

It's a 3 parallel hoops (tunnel) design that's extremely versatile and light. Huge vestibule (didn't try it, but several reviewer say a bike can fit in there) and when you dig it out in winter, it's even bigger! Very modular: You could only take the outer tent fabric if you wanted too for an even lighter shelter. Great ventilation (although it gets a bit hot in the summer months).

I had paid mine 300$-something CDN on sale.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/rev...dromeda II Tent/Owner Review by Jerry Goller/
http://www.campsaver.com/andromeda-ii-tent-2-3-person-4-season#ReviewHeader