Snow Lovers May Be Rejoicing On Friday 2/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
It is looking very likely that the New England area will experience a significant snow storm(Nemo) on Friday into Saturday morning. It's still a little unclear whether the heaviest accumulations will be over southern or northern areas, but current forecasts and models are saying that southern NH northern MA are in for 12-24". We'll see what happens, but this could be a big one!

Last edited:
I have to say that I'm still skeptical. Down here the Boston Globe and local weathermen have trumpeted loudly about major storms a few times already this winter. Including one last week, one the week before and even one today, and none materialized. Believe me, I want some snow down here--would love to XC ski without driving--but I fear another hype cycle and disappointment.

Hoping to stand corrected!

I've heard 4-8 inches by the time saturday is here in the Berkshires of Western Mass.. Today snow wasn't predicted to be anything other than a flurry though..

Jay

well if we all behave and do a proper snow dance... we'll be rejoicing on Saturday morning. See you on the trails ! :)

Forecasting severe weather is such a profitable enterprise for the local media that a major grain of salt has be used for forecasts these days. The local stores will be sellin out of milk and home depot will have a run on generators.

Looks like a coastal event to me

Forecasting severe weather is such a profitable enterprise for the local media that a major grain of salt has be used for forecasts these days. The local stores will be sellin out of milk and home depot will have a run on generators.

Looks like a coastal event to me

But the computer driven models don't lie!;)

Been watching this and dancing for the last couple of days as encouragement. Looks like it might have helped – the NWS forecasters were hedging even more strongly until today. :D:D:D:D

I'm with Sardog1 on this one. I wasn't buying any of the hype but, in the latest update, the NOAA forecasts have had a significant about face in the direction of their forecast. The two areas that I follow closely are both referring to significant events as of this afternoon. This morning neither forecast would have captured your attention.

snowdance.gif

My snow dance!

Congrats and enjoy... though 2 foot storms are not common, doesn't seem like any real chance of a total miss. I'd bet cash money on a foot or more most places in Southern and Central NE and perhaps up north too.

Hopefully we will get more out here this weekend as well... right now it is a tough combination of relatively thin cover and considerable avy danger due to hard old surfaces lots of places. We need a good couple more feet, ideally during the week when people are not out there to get buried, then it will be more normal after a few days.

right now it is a tough combination of relatively thin cover and considerable avy danger due to hard old surfaces lots of places. We need a good couple more feet, ideally during the week when people are not out there to get buried, then it will be more normal after a few days.

Interesting - I was originally planning to head up to Franconia Ridge on Sunday. I haven't heard of it sliding but I can imagine the area between the hut and Lafayette could, under the right conditions, be prone to slide. Anyone remember it sliding? What are the chances? Where else, outside the Presidential ravines and slides, might be susceptible given current conditions?

Tim

Just got here in Franconia and there is no snow yet. The chance of snow jumps from 50 to 80 pct between 7am and 10am.

BTW I don't remember Rt 112 west of Lincoln being so badly frost heaved as it was tonight.

See article here and commentary: lots of skepticism, a lot of "I'll believe it when I see it." And of course it does make a nice tie-in with the Blizzard of '78 (35 yr anniv today) which as a doozy of a storm, back when we got a lot of snow in MA. Ah the good old days.... ; )

I had a flight to Phoenix delayed by the Blizzard of '78. Just moved my flight from Saturday to Sunday. Going to Phoenix. Must be a sign??

I had a flight to Phoenix delayed by the Blizzard of '78. Just moved my flight from Saturday to Sunday. Going to Phoenix. Must be a sign??

I recall almost 3 feet in Brookline, NH just north of the Ma. border in that blizzard. It was alot of snow for sure. Phoenix? I'm jealous. I usually get out there in late February for the Single Action Shooting Society's Cowboy Action National Championships that I compete in. Not in the cards this year though due to cash flow. Have fun and soak up some sun for me.

If this storm is like the original blizzard of '78, it will tie up Boston for days but won't have much effect on the Whites.

The weekend after, I got a call from a guy in Bedford NH who wanted company on the Kinsmans - his usual hiking buddy in Pelham had opened his garage door to find only an inch of air above the snow and wasn't going anywhere for awhile. But as we got farther N, the drifts got smaller and the two of us broke out a route from Kinsman Pond Trail to the col probably for the first time all year so it couldn't have been that bad.

Note - it was snowing in Concord NH by 8 am but not much accumulation yet.