Snow Lovers May Be Rejoicing On Friday 2/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drifts a couple feet up the slider. Blowin' like stink. Dogs did NOT want to go out to take care of things this morning.

The joy I feel is indescribable. This is awesome.

I'm headed out to the drive with a shovel. It's going to be rough out there.

No rescue. ;)

Over 2 feet here in Cambridge and it is good and cold now too (today's high only 21) I shoveled the driveway but I haven't seen a plow on my street yet this morning. But that does mean that all the streets have been turned into XC ski trails, so that's good with me. Time for some city skiing soon...

We got about 30" here. Have shoveled my car out, in two stages - midnight and 8:30 AM. Have to wait for condo assn plow guy to come, but I've done my part, at least. Our street and the main arterial nearby are well-plowed. It's gorgeous, cold and windy.

11am Saturday here in Webster, NH just northwest of Concord with almost 22 inches. Roads plowed by not the driveway which is heavily drifted. It's still snowing.

So where are folks going to hike tomorrow? We should meet up in groups to make trail breaking easier. Someone start a new thread if they have some ideas and want company. I was thinking Tecumseh since I need it for winter and the parking should be good and my truck won't get stuck in the lot (hopefully).

Inquiring minds want to know what the roads are like today, and if the trailheads are plowed out. Those who live up north or who manage to get out there today, report back here.

Tim

we are skiing jackson xc tomorrow...a trip agreed upon a few weeks ago. it will be awesome.

Inquiring minds want to know what the roads are like today, and if the trailheads are plowed out. Those who live up north or who manage to get out there today, report back here.

Tim

Friend from Franconia area reported 10 inches there (Easton) with cleared roadways and no longer snowing. Windy.

Maybe 18"-20" snow Southern NH areas around N Nashua...

Hard to tell -- haven't dug out yet, but I'm guessing from a visual inspection we have about 18"-20" of powdery stuff and higher drifts in North Nashua/Merrimack/Amherst/E. Hollis, NH areas.

While the summit wind forecast looks more favorable by tomorrow afternoon -- no ridges for me this weekend. I'm nursing a head cold, yet still hoping for is an hour of uphill snowshoeing on some nearby conservation land tomorrow:)

Hope others will take advantage of all this beautiful snow!

Mike

I was out doing some cleanout in the driveway, since my earlier report I would epxect I am at around 16" in Gorham at 1:30. COntrary to the forecast, its still snowing. This stuff is pure powder with no water content. I jumped off my porch into a 2' drift and immediately hit pavement with no cushioning. I am not a skier but I sure would call this powder. I expect twith any breeze I am going to be getting occasion snow dumps on me tommorow

Bob and Geri report:

Parking Lot Status - 3:30 PM Sat

Flume parking lot plowed very well:
Liberty Springs - one pass last night? Drifted in:
Basin lots plowed:
Lafayette - both sides of highway one pass last night? Drifted in:
Old Man viewing - plowed
Skook - one pass last night? Drifted in:
Beaver Brook - one pass last night? Drifted in - high snow bank at road both entrances.
Garfield end of Gale River Loop not plowed high snow
End of Trudeau road parking area is NOT plowed.

Roads north of Lincoln mostly snow covered.

Tim

Bob and Geri report:

Parking Lot Status - 3:30 PM Sat

Flume parking lot plowed very well:
Liberty Springs - one pass last night? Drifted in:
Basin lots plowed:
Lafayette - both sides of highway one pass last night? Drifted in:
Old Man viewing - plowed
Skook - one pass last night? Drifted in:
Beaver Brook - one pass last night? Drifted in - high snow bank at road both entrances.
Garfield end of Gale River Loop not plowed high snow
End of Trudeau road parking area is NOT plowed.

Roads north of Lincoln mostly snow covered.

Tim
93 is salted in the notch and wet now.

There was a good 5 inches in Lincoln woods sparking lot till not plowed when I got back at 4. Saw 8 to 16 inches up the west road and part of Franconia Brook Trail which I broke out...a lot of it set and compressed overnight. Not many people here (yet).

Coming back on the Kanc last night there were 3 foot dunes at the pass, but the stuff was lighter than air

We got about 30" here. Have shoveled my car out, in two stages - midnight and 8:30 AM. Have to wait for condo assn plow guy to come, but I've done my part, at least. Our street and the main arterial nearby are well-plowed. It's gorgeous, cold and windy.
Congrats! I know you were hoping for some snow...My condo assn. connects did not help with my car,so I just walked across town to check on my older dad[early 70's].Got stuck helping him shovel out somewhere between 21-26 inches!My back still hurts today.spent about 4 hours outside yesterday and it was cold.Maybe we all need a winter cottage in Conn. now?You guys seemed to have won the snow total according to necn this morning...

We got about 28 in. in Reading, north of Boston. It started with a sitcky, wet snow for an hour or two, so the cars were crusted over once I got them dug out of their drifts. It took me all day yesterday to dig out - and that's with a snow blower. I still have to get out today and finish cleaning up and dig a path to the wood pile before the rain forecast on Monday. If this stuff gets wet a and freezes, it'll be here until spring.

The last really big snowfall here was 29 inches IIRC, a couple years ago. The plows pushed a path about a car-and-a-half wide through the side roads, it rained and froze, and turned to concrete. What a nightmare. Let's hope they learned from that experience. We have almost three feet now with some big drifts and all the town plows went out and got stuck since they can't push more than two feet. We're waiting for the heavy machinery to dig us out now. Not as many snowmobiles down here as in NH ;)