Tripyramids winter slide advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albee

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I'm planning a trip up North and Middle Tripyramid this weekend, Jan 16. Has anyone out there been up the North or South slides in the past few weeks? How precarious are they at this time of year?

I may just take a different route if the slides are really icy since I don't own crampons and I don't have ice climbing experience. I'm also not stupid - I've always known when to turn around when things don't look safe. I do have snowshoes with aggressive cleats, but they can be a bit awkward when there is particularly tricky footing.

I read the trip reports page and they didn't have anything in the last 4 weeks, so I'm just wondering if anyone with more recent experience (or at least a good knowledge of the area) could give me an idea what to expect. What would be a good route if the slides are too hairy? Sabbaday ridge?

Thank you kindly!

Good advice, Jeff...

A couple clarifications from my side: I'll have company, I'm not going solo. I would say I have a fair amount of winter hiking experience. I've done Mts. Willey, Field, Tom, North & South Hancock, and Pierce in the winter. But nothing big or terribly treacherous. I wouldn't say I'm awkward on snowshoes, it is just that they don't allow one to be as nimble when it comes to foot placement on steep, technical ascents.

This re-freeze is what concerns me. I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me whether or not it is even worth it to try the slide routes without crampons and with only snowshoes, since I've never seen them in person (aside from pictures) let alone seen them covered in snow & ice.

Thanks again.

Crampons, crampons, crampons

Albee,

Everything I have been on the last couple of weeks has required crampons. And given last night's rain instead of snow I imagine they will still be necessary. I have done the north slide in the summer and IMHO it is not where I would want to be in winter without crampons, and given recent conditions, perhaps not where I would want to be with them. But that is just my opinion.

If you want to do the Tripyramids I know a group went up last weekend from Pine Bend Brook Trail - but that also required crampons.

Have fun safely!

A subtle clue to the slides is in the AMC White Mountain Guide book, in the Mount Tripyramid Trail description "The steep rock slabs of the North Slide are difficult, and they are dangerous in wet or icy conditions."

I've skied the North Slide in Spring, when there was soft (glorious) snow, when it wasn't a no fall situation. It's probably safe to assume that this weekend could result in very icy conditions on the slide(s). There is a flood watch for northern Grafton & Carroll county's, along with all of Coos County for today. The radar is indicating very heavy rain, with the forecast calling for a quick, flash freeze.

The North & South slides of Tripyramid are not like the loop trails on the Hancocks, as far as they don't remain in the trees. Tuesday, there was considerable avalanche conditions on the steep slopes in the mountains (there was an underlying crust with dry powder sitting on top). The snow pack won't be the same after today, but when planning on heading out to steep terrain, it doesn't hurt to check the avalanche bulletin from Pinkham Notch (Mt Wash Ob's site has a link) to get good info / advice on snow pack stability.

On steep slopes, it is possible to hike in snowshoes, but it is key to have layers of snow that are bonded together. You can kick in and make toe holds, or steps, in the powder or corn snow. But even tame powder or corn snow, that is flowing down hill (not avalanching) can be quite scary. I've seen folks knocked over, partially submerged in the snow, in those type conditions, and if it's a new experience for you, you might not like it.

As an alternate route, hiking in on the Livermore Rd & Scaur Ridge Trails from Waterville will allow you to get a good look at the North Slide, as will a short section of the Pine Bend Brook trail above the Scaur Ridge junction. The Sabbaday Brook trail has quite a few brook crossings, which probably won't be a lot of fun this weekend.

I agree strongly with Cath. In early winter, I view the Trip slides as a likely technical (WI1-2) ice climb; in late winter, I view them as serious ski descents. I'm not a snowshoer, but with the forecast (and current weather in the region), I'd say crampons for sure.

Call me conservative, but I believe that you shouldn't use crampons unless you also carry a mountain axe. If you need crampons, you may need to be able to self-arrest. If you are wearing crampons, you will have a hard time self-arresting safely without an axe. I apply this rule very strictly in open terrain, less strictly on some forested hiking trails -- but very strictly on slides.

Be safe!

I'll add to the chorus of folks that are saying it would be insane to attempt North Tripyramid slide without crampons at this time. It's really not an option. I wouldn't venture anywhere up high right now without crampons, but North Slide would be almost criminal. Not only that, but as el-bagr said, this is definately one of the places where an ice axe (and the knowlenge of how to use it) for self-arrrest is essential.

You could go up Livermore Road to Scaur Ridge, or take the Pine Bend Brook trail to North Tri, but in either case I'd still want crampons. However, if you had aggressive snowshoe cleats you could probably make it without putting yourself in too much danger. Either way, I wouldn't go down South Slide without crampons as well.

Sabadday has one section that I wouldn't feel comfortable on without crampons. I don't believe snowshoes are sufficient for that trail either.

-dave-

I've done North Tripyramid in pretty icy conditions in late December. If you go past the trail for the north slide on Livermore you'll come to the Scaur ridge trail which climbs the peak much more moderately. There is a steep pitch from the ridge to the summit on this route though and without crampons I would never attempt it. I did the north slide in summer when it was nice and dry. Enjoy, be safe.

Last edited:
I have done North Tri slide many times including in slightly icy conditions (we were able to routefind around the ice). I wouldn't even consider it without crampons and an iceaxe in the current conditions. It is also easier to climb up than down--one could reach a point where one cannot continue up and cannot go down leaving a bushwack off the side as the only option. We also brought a rope on the icy day.

Current conditions require not only the proper equipment, but the knowlege of how to use them--in this case, self arrest and some ice climbing knowlege and experience.

North slide is a rock slide--snowshoe crampons are not an adequate substitute for regular crampons on this kind of terrain. (Snowshoes might be useful if there were deep snow, but the slide is also steep enough to avalanche.) North slide does not get much sun.

South slide is a ledge and gravel slide--much easier than north slide and gets a lot more sun. (A classic loop is up north slide and down south slide.)

I would stick to the trails in the current conditions.

Just for the record, I used to ice climb.

Doug

Last edited:
Thank you!

Hi everyone...

I just want to say thanks to all that have provided me with EXACTLY the information I was looking for. I hadn't been able to find enough info on this type of trip elsewhere, but this is precisely the situation where the collective experience of the people on these boards was able to help me avoid putting myself and my group on an unsafe course.

I can safely say that I will not be attempting the slide routes this weekend. I may still make an attempt via Pine Bend Brook and Sabbaday Brook, but I'll look into some other options as well. And of course, turning around will always be a viable option.

Thanks for the advice and input everyone! Happy trails! :)

Cath - do you have a trip report from your ski descent in the spring? I'd love to hear about it and see photos if you have any!

albee said:
I can safely say that I will not be attempting the slide routes this weekend. I may still make an attempt via Pine Bend Brook and Sabbaday Brook, but I'll look into some other options as well.
As I said above, there's one section of Sabbaday Brook that is potentially nasty. I wouldn't go up there without crampons. Also, in winter, it's generally much safer to go up and down the same route, as you may encounter terrain on the way down that is beyond your ability or not broken out.

-dave-

Spread out!

Albee,

Given the current conditions (ice) let me offer some advice, though obvious we forgot it a couple of weeks ago coming off of East Osceola. We were coming down a very steep part and a man behind me fell (he had crampons and has winter experience - I think he just tripped) and because we were too close for the conditions he was the bowling ball (6' 4" ish) and I was the pin (5' 6") - not fun. And with goretex there was no stopping us until I hit a tree - thankfully pack first. Other than a lovely array of black and blue's we were both gratefully ok - torn Marmot pants too....bummer.

So when on Carrigain the other day crossing Signal Ridge, I had a whole new understanding of concentrating while in no fall zones - don't be wiping your nose, getting something out of a pocket, tugging on a strap, just wisely plant each foot.

This was one great thread.

What a great group! I'd hike with you all anytime. Great choice of alternative route, and this weekend I'd have a plan C and D in mind too. With the rain causing possible trail washouts (at least through the snow/ice down to rock) it could be really tough. Give it a month, it'll likely be a lot better. I'm going skating (on a knee-deep pond) this weekend.

Success

I just wanted to check in and inform all of the helpful people that my trip was a smashing success today. We had a great time and made it back safely. Summitted all three Tripyramids and didn't set foot anywhere near the slides. Snowshoes came in really handy. Whoever said watch out for Sabbaday Brook trail was right, as the river crossings easily added an hour to the end of the trip.

Thanks to all that offered advice and happy trails to everyone! :D