Views from Wherever - What are your favorite viewpoints for various summits?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
The White Mountain Quarter got me thinking - if they had used Mt. Washington, what would've been the prettiest aspect for it. For that matter, what are the best for various peaks in the northeast. Thought I'd pose it to you all - what are your favorites?

I'll start the thread by giving a few of mine. I love the view of Moosilauke from Franconia Ridge, Lafayette, I think, best of all, though it's hard to beat the view from Moose's South Peak. As for Lafayette, I love it from numerous angles, hard to choose, but I'd go with the view from Flume, with the views from Franconia village and from 93 in the North Woodstock area close behind - love the several haystacks lined up one after the other from that SSW angle.

As for Mt. Washington, I love the view from 302 across Mt. W hotel and the golf course and really like the imposing views of it from Pinkham Notch (near the bridge across the clearing south of the buildings), and the view from near the Lakes hut is awesome, but my favorite so far of it and the Northern Presi's is from Jefferson village on Rt. 2. The grandeur and immensity of the Presi's is highlighted very nicely from there.

I like the views of Waumbek, Starr King, Cabot and neighbors from Rt. 116 northeast of Whitefield. As for the Carters and Wildcats, the views from the Tuckerman Ravine, Lion Head and Boott Spur Trails are very nice, but I like best the view from Washington's summit of those I've seen so far. As for the southern Presi's, it's hard to pick between the Jewell Trail above treeline, Washington's summit and Rt. 302 by the golf course, again, for the Mt. W Hotel, but I'd go with the latter.

Back over to Franconia Notch, I'd say Cannon from Franconia Place is just awesome, and I love the view of the Kinsmans from FRT between Little Haystack and Lincoln. The view of Lincoln from Lafayette is great, but I also love the cozier view from alongside the Gargoyles to the south. I like the view of the Twins from Mt. Garfield and of the whole Twin-Bond Range from the Flume "Downlook" on the Osseo Trail, as well as the view of Osceola, Tripyramid and neighbors from the southern overlook near the top of the Osseo ladders.

Anyhow, I'm rambling a bit. What are some views you like? And, if you like, feel free to post pics to illustrate. :D

Last edited:
I like the view of Passaconaway from the ledges on Hedgehog, Franconia ridge from Lonesome Lake, Monroe from high on the Crawford Path, view toward Washington from Isolation, Chocourua from Chocourua Lake....this could be a really long list.

I absolutely love the view from West Bond! The walk along that ridge line to Guyot campsite it amazing too. The drive around Cates Hill looking out at the Kilkenny Ridge (even though it is a drive not a hike) is absolutely stunning! As well as looking at the Mahoosics from Cates Hill, BREATHTAKING!

Even though it's a road, I like looking down at I-93 as it passes thru Franconia Notch, from the lookout above where the old man used to be on Cannon. It looks like it's almost straight down!

The view from the front Porch of Zeeland Hut is worth a million bucks!

Signal Ridge from the Carrigain trail is awesome.

Bond Cliff in almost any direction is great too.

Im a big fan of the outcropping on the Cannon Hi- cannon trail just before the ladder. IMO its just the best view of the Franconia Notch. With the ridge annd Lonesome lake all in one turn of the head. The parkway winding through with its tiny vehicles always amazes me.

The first one to pop into my head is the view of the Twins from 302 coming into Twin Mountain from the West:
Twins.jpg

I absolutely love the view from West Bond! The walk along that ridge line to Guyot campsite it amazing too.
I'm with you on that! The view from Guyout looking towards Carrigan IMO is about as close in the Continental US as I've seen to recreating the opening of "The Sound of Music". I would have to say that seeing the "View" is close to my main motivation as any for Hiking.

I found the view from between North and South Kinsman heading toward South Kinsman looking through the trees at Franconia Ridge in Winter to be lovely.
DSCN1482_zps53cf89ff.jpg

I'm with you on that! The view from Guyout looking towards Carrigan IMO is about as close in the Continental US as I've seen to recreating the opening of "The Sound of Music". I would have to say that seeing the "View" is close to my main motivation as any for Hiking.

:D Oh boy, now everyone will be hearing the words to the sound of music hiking that stretch, but it's so true!!

I am quite fond of the view of the Franconia Ridge from the ledges on N Kinsman overlooking the pond and lake.

As far as the ADK..The View from Hurricane Mt. looking back towards the High Peaks is awesome!

From Hamlin Ridge on Katahdin, you can see Baxter Peak, Knife's Edge, Cathedral Ridge, Chimney Pond, Basin Ponds, Tabeland, Howes Peaks and a whole bunch of other great stuff. Definitely my fave.

Marty

So many....

I'm a Pemi guy, so the view anywhere from Zealand Notch, Zeacliff, Guyot, the outlooks from Shoal Pond looking up at Zealand Notch, or at Carrigain, Ethan Pond, from the dam at norcross pond...the list goes on.

Also, the Davis Path coming off Washington towards Boott Spur...it looks like the mtns go on forever.

"Pikes Peak" from Plymouth Mtn has an excellent view of the southern whites, and on a clear day, Mt Washington

Black Mtn in Benton/Pike area. Awesome views of the Moose, and beyond near the tipping rock

I like seeing the Carters with the Presidentials in the background from the Baldfaces. If you look in the right direction you can for miles and miles without any man-made structures or disturbances.
I also like the sight of my car at the end of a harrowing hike.

Way too many to do this justice, or skipping a bunch

The view from Chimney Pond looking up
The view of the Knife's Edge from Hamlin Ridge
The views from Guyot & West Bond & from Bondcliff, Bond is pretty good also
The Northern Presidentials from where the Gulfside gets close to the top of the great Gulf
Marcy from Haystack
In the great Gothics debate, I need Gothics in the view, so the view of the Great Range from Big Slide or from Sawteeth
The View of the High Peaks when you first turn onto the Loj road is great also. The view from Mt. Jo also.
Camel's Hump across Champlain at the ADK's
The Catskills on clear days from the South Taconic's Brace
Looking South from Garfield
The Northern Presidentials from the Moriah ledges, especially in winter of fall when you have foliage low & snow high
I'd opt for Saddleback over the Bigelows in ME for Maine's best not in BSP. (Bigelow's may be Maine's Gothics, they need to be in the view)
So the view from the slopes or summit of Sugarloaf
Washington from Middle Sugarloaf (similar to view from in front of the Mt. Washington)
Agree with the view south from Mt. Monroe someone else mentioned
Washington from Low on Wildcat's slopes where you see the more famous ravines & the Ravine of Raymond Cataract
The view from Signal Ridge
The view of Katahdin from South Turner
View from Marcy Pond, especially early in the day
View from Colden
views from Macomb, Hough & Dix are great along with many more I've missed in the ADK's

And for some reason I really enjoy the view from Tony's Nose, a small outcropping in CT's Rocky Neck State Park. It's just a nice combination of water, islands, rock, trees & since I have a son who likes trains, the occasional train. The few vacation homes in sight are not overly huge as in some places either. (Of course sq. footage is in the eye of the beholder)

Addendum # 1:

The view of Giant from the road, along a couple of holes of the Ausable Club
The View of Washington from the viewpoint in Crawford Notch State Park
The Northern Presidentials from parts of Route 2 where you can look into Castle Ravine. (The views from the Crescent Range must be great – someday….)
Franconia Ridge from Lonesome Lake in addition to the views from Cannon mentioned by others

Last edited: