Trekking Poles...Do You Use Them?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desalad

Reaction score
Framingham, MA Avatar: Terrace Mtn Leanto S
Quick question for you all. Do you use Trekking Poles? What benefit do they have. I typically do not use poles. One year I brought my ski poles and was dragging them most of the way! The only time having poles helped me was in the whites a couple years ago when there was a good two to three feet of powder and occasionally the weight of my pack would throw me forward onto my knees. The poles helped me get upright, its tough to manuever while where snowshoes and half off in the deeps!

I always use mine when backpacking. I feel naked without them. The only time I don't use mine is if I'm doing a dayhike with a lumbarpack or light daypack. One reason many people like them is they help alleviate the stress on the knees going downhill. While I don't have knee problems, I'd like to keep it that way. :)

They're also great for overall balance, especially when crossing streams, and as you mentioned, trudging through the snow.

As mentioned above, poles help with balance and ease stress on knees. Very useful for stream crossings, icy spots, etc.

Whether I use them depends on what I'm doing. I almost always use poles when backpacking, due to pack weight. I almost always use them in the winter, for balance and rhythm with the snowshoes, and for slick spots.

I seldom use them on summer day trips because I do a lot of running, and carrying them slows me down, overall. And I seldom use them on rock scrambles (like the trap dike) and on tight bushwacks, because they're more of a nuisance to carry then they are a help.

TCD

I frequently carry them, but don't always use them. Depends on the terrain. If it is moderate up or down or there are some big steps, I generally use them. Level, sometimes yes, sometimes no. Very useful for stream crossings. If it is steep enough that you need to use your hands, they are a nuisance.

You can certainly test them by using fixed length ski poles, but if you buy poles, I suggest that you get 3-section adjustables. These will collapse to a length that is short enough to carry on your pack when not needed. It is also desireable to be able to adjust the length to match the need: shorter for uphill, longer for downhill, and one of each for long traverses.

Good website on using poles:
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

Doug

As others have said, I'm never without my hiking poles, summer or winter. Balance is an issue in summer with mud, rocks, etc., and I'm prone to slipping on trails in winter, especially if icy. There are times when poles become more of a liability than an asset, usually on steep ascents. We actually ditched our poles before finishing the cliffs on Cliff. But after having broken my wrist on a perfectly level part of the trail on Noonmark (slipped on a wet root), I'll always have them along.

Carrying an overnight pack in winter,trekking poles are indispensable for keeping your balance. they also relieve an enormous amount of the stress from carrying a pack. After you use them a while,you hardly even notice them!

And for the purists who complain that they scratch the rocks..
I would rather scratch the rocks with my trekking poles,than dent them by bouncing my head off them! :eek:

This is my first year using poles and it has seriously helped reduce the strain on my knees (they're getting old....I'm not!).
I find them useful for uphill with maintaining balance and downhill as a stabilizer where I can plant one and then use it to lower my self instead of putting to much impact on my legs. Generally I also find 2 better for uphill and one for downhill (switching hands constantly).
Next up will be which ones to buy.....open another thread for that one!
(Komperdell 3 section, no anti lock, carbon tip, 15 degree rubber or "foam" grips is my preference...everyone else?????)

Winter or anytime footing may be iffy, 100% of the time.

Short trips with fanny pack like Everett, Greylock, Monadnock, maybe go without them

On a full day poles can be used to take some weight off the legs. How much, tons of foot pounds, really tons

Basic math was done in 2nd, 3rd or 4th Joe Simpson book as initially he thought they were for wussy trekkers On way into a Himalayan climb they encounter trekkers with poles as he is resting his bum knee. German MD provided math based on your weight & # of steps taken on a full day hiking, now reduce by 10% for poles. I know some people here are math junkies perhaps they can re-hash the #'s

Also can be part of splint in case of leg injury

In a nutshell...
Artex said:
I always use mine when backpacking. I feel naked without them. The only time I don't use mine is if I'm doing a dayhike with a lumbarpack or light daypack. One reason many people like them is they help alleviate the stress on the knees going downhill. While I don't have knee problems, I'd like to keep it that way. :)

They're also great for overall balance, especially when crossing streams, and as you mentioned, trudging through the snow.
I have had knee problems in the past and they help bigtime on the downhills...

Hiking poles

I hate them (just like any other impeding thing that takes space and weight that isn't always needed) but I do carry them summer and winter unless its a low level, flat day hike.

I normally have them strapped to my pack unless the trail is steep, I'm fording a stream or there is more that 6-8" of snow. They are especially good on steep slopes (both up and down hill).

I carry them all the time and use them very often. They especially help my knees from taking too much abuse going downhill and if I am carrying a heavy pack. I also have them set up so I can use them as a tracking stick so they do double duty.

I have also convinced my wife to use them when we hike and she loves them. She won't hike without them anymore.

Keith

Treking poles

Love them, use them.....you can always use the basket (not the tip) to nudge the dog in front of you if he stops!

There have been times when I wanted to hold on to the pole with one hand while I dealing with something else on the trail with the other -- but I've usually found two poles to be the best.

I have broken a few and seldom take the remaining ones. There are times that I will take one pole and one ice axe, but for the most part I like to keep at least one hand free. Though I do understand that they can help keep your balance and propel you forward.
They do not inately conserve energy. One stat I read stated that the extra energy expenditure was between 16-24 percent. How acurate that is I have no idea.
I tend to look at it this way...how often do you see someone using two hammers at once...two paint brushes at the same time ?
Still you do see people using a pair of crutches...so perhaps hiking poles viewed as a crutch...could be.
Still I think I will save them for when I absolutely need them.

Last edited:
I would rather keep my hands free too, but sometimes the benefits of the poles outweigh the disadvantages. (That is why my poles tend to ride on my pack when not is use.)

2 vs 1 ?
One advantage of two poles is the ability to "double pole" (same as skiers).
A very powerful move which can help one up a steep uphill section or a long uphill step.

Another is one can use the poles in a balanced fashion, much the way one swings one's arms when walking.

Sometimes when walking on easy terrain, I double pole rather than use alternating poles. Better balance.

When I need a free hand (or two) I sometimes carry both poles in one hand or hold them under my arm. I also collapse them and carry them in one hand for short periods. Or one can drag them using the straps for short periods.

Don't know what they do to one's total efficiency. Obviously, one is carrying a little more weight. One thing they do for me is to reduce the fatigue of the leg muscles by doing some of the work of the more difficult moves (eg a double pole to augment a long step up). And, of couse, a downhill double pole can reduce knee and quadraceps strain, particlarly on long steps down.

One disadvange on slippery downhills: if one's feet slip but the poles stick, the poles can make it harder to recover without falling or make the fall worse.

In total, I think this is one of those "do whatever you prefer" issues.

Doug

Depends on season and terrain

I've found on summer hikes that I tend not to use them going uphill (esp. on steep uphill when I like to keep my hands free) but love using them downhill on steady grades as they really speed you along and keep the strain off your knees. As for winter hikes - great having the extra support uphill and downhill. But, hey, that's just me.

DougPaul said:
Don't know what they do to one's total efficiency. Obviously, one is carrying a little more weight. One thing they do for me is to reduce the fatigue of the leg muscles by doing some of the work of the more difficult moves (eg a double pole to augment a long step up). And, of couse, a downhill double pole can reduce knee and quadraceps strain, particlarly on long steps down.

If I'm going through mud and rocks and plant one pole to keep myself from slipping on one foot, it's nice to have another pole in the other hand when I take that necessary quick next step to the other foot. As for total efficiency, they reduce the fatigue of picking yourself up after falling with a heavy pack! :)

better circulation

Though having mentioned that I seldom use my poles I did remember that they have been credited with improving the circulation in ones arms.
Particular mention of this is by "Nimlewill Nomad" in his book "Ten Millon Steps."
After his retirement as an optomitrist he began his hike from Florida to Cap Gaspe Quebec (which he has repeated several times).
He noted an on going problem with his hands swelling (I believe he also mentioned a touch of arthritis).
When a young lady called it quits on the Appalachian Trail and gave him her hiking poles, he accepted with some hesitancy.
He found much relief from the swelling and has been a proponet of them ever since.
I would imagine he his off on some hike as we speak..........

Last edited: