Trekking Poles...Do You Use Them?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always carry 'em for bigger hikes, though not smaller or more local hikes, which may be a mistake. Wished I'd had 'em last spring after fracturing an ankle on a local hike. Luckily the tall dog proved to be a cooperative crutch. I don't use them much. Mainly for steep downs, winter conditions, water crossings, or towards the end of a difficult hike.

Definitely Use Poles

I can't imagine not using poles anymore. I think anyone who doesn't use them, who tries them will see how useful they are and will be hooked. they have saved my butt when going down steep and really slippery areas, helped me get up and over stuff; def help when crossing rivers, wet areas etc. they become an extention of my arms. they also come in handy to hang stuff on, to help someone else climb up and all kinds of things. they are one of the smartest pcs of gear i've purchased by far. i don't leave home w/o them.

I've never used them. Nor have I ever really taken a spill on the trail. I am positive that they'd be helpful, but I just haven't gotten around to getting them. I like to have free hands.

In the winter I use an axe and that seems to be enough for ascents. I can't imagine having to stop and switch from "poles mode" to "axe mode". And on the way down i glissade alot anyway so free hands seem to be more useful than being able to do a pole plant.

As an observation, it seems that more folks on the trail use poles than do not.

I feel lost without my poles! I started using them a couple of years ago and can't imagine not going out with them now. They have saved me many times from falling. The one thing I do not like about the poles is that I drop them sometimes.

Generally, no poles, though they are often strapped to my backpack for stream crossings and such. First time I tried using them backpacking up to Chimney Pond we nick-named them "pecker poles" and after we all tried and discarded them, they got strapped to my pack.

I feel they cause me to look at the ground instead of nature around me, plus I like to use my hands on rocks and things. I don't trust the poles either.

I started using poles in Nov 2003, when someone lent me a pole to assist with icy brook crossings. It really made a difference. The next hike I did, I brought my downhill ski poles and really took a liking to the stability they offered. Last summer I finally got some regular trekking poles, and I love them. Its sort of like having 4 legs instead of two (good for balance) and spares your legs while increasing your upper body work.

Now, I don't hike without them. If I come to a spot where I need my hands, I throw the poles up or down ahead of me, or let them hang from my wrists by the strap. Its not much of a problem.

Yep, poles

I always use poles. They're indispensable when hiking up or down steeps or over rocky/rooty terrain. Four points of contact (two legs, two poles) with the ground makes for a very stable hiker. A clumsy little fall in the wrong place can turn a pleasant outing into a stone drag, possibly worse. Having poles in hand makes that kind of scenario less likely. What's not to like?

--Sijesi

I always use my poles (2) in the winter but only in the summer if I'm backpacking, not on day hikes. They are invaluable for balance and for decreasing foot slippage on an ascent (by cranking down on the poles you take some of the force off your feet).

I never use the wrist straps. I don't want a pole dangling from my wrist interfering with my feet when I've got one hand wrapped around a tree in a tricky section of the trail. Above tree line, there are places where I am constantly using my hands and moving both poles from one hand to the other. Straps around my wrists would be a hindrance. Several winters ago, we were on a fast descent when my planted pole lodged between some rocks and with my wrist strap securely around my wrist, I was quickly brought down flat on my back when the pole stuck in place and my feet wanted to keep going. That was the last time I used the wrist straps.

JohnL

> I never use the wrist straps.

Wrist straps take the strain off the wrist and hands and allow a much longer reach behind when pushing.

There are certainly places where the strap is undesirable--I take the straps on and off as is appropriate for the terrain. I was also taught to remove the straps on a ski schuss if there is any chance of the baskets catching in the brush.

> Several winters ago, we were on a fast descent when my planted pole lodged between some rocks and with my wrist strap securely around my wrist, I was quickly brought down flat on my back when the pole stuck in place and my feet wanted to keep going.

I have learned to reach back and pull up quickly whenever a pole tip feels stuck. I have managed to avoid any problems or broken tips so far... (Knock on aluminum?) I have also removed the trekking baskets--they are too prone to catching in underbrush for my taste. (I use snow baskets on snow.)

Doug

RE: Trekking Poles

I have them put find that they often get in to way.
Lots of times I think about where to put the poles
and forget about my feet! :0)

I had never used poles until about six years ago when I met a fellow hiking RPR to Giant who was about ten years older than myself. My wife and I had just started down and reached the junction of the two trails and this guy was moving faster than we were. When I asked him how he liked the poles he stated he had knee surgery and would not be able to hike without them. Having had an injury myself and feeling my knee with every step I decided to try them. I don't think I have hiked (day hike or backpacking) a day without them since.

I agree that the straps are instrumental in bearing some of the load both in ascent and descent. Sure they occassionally get caught or stuck on something but once you get used to using them they are invaluable in most situations. I will stow them for a long scramble up rocks or bare summit but often you can just toss them up or down if they are in the way. If used correctly they take a lot of pressure off your knees and legs and they allow you to distribute some of the weight bearing to your arms. I'll bet that even just taking the weight of your arms and resting them on the poles keeps your legs fresher over a 10 - 15 mile route. Since they rest on the ground you are not even carrying their weight.

That said they are less useful in certain situations - especially tight bushwacking. Still I would bring them if there is any significant trail or herd path walking and stow them in or on the pack as necessary.