Carter Dome via 19MB, Carter Dome Tr, and Carter Moriah Trail (2-17-13)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: 19MB was the usual sidewalk. Barebooted up. CDT was well packed out. Wore microspikes to Zeta Pass and had to go around one big blowdown. Take care near the pass as the Treadway comes up a bit north of the actual trail junction and you can end on the CMT without realizing it. CMT is blazed white. From Zeta Pass on up to Carter Dome the trail is blown in and not really broken out as is typical for this windy stretch. Snowshoes from Zeta Pass to Carter Notch. The trail down to Carter Notch was a perfect buttslide and the walk out 19MB was smooth back in microspikes.

Equipment: I barebooted, used microspikes, and snowshoes at various points. Snowshoes would have been enough alone but was very happy to have micros. Full winter gear necessary on the ridge and in Carter Notch where temps were single digits and wind was fierce. Full face mask and goggles were a big help in the half mile stretch over the Dome's summit.

Comments: great day to be out even with the wind. Carter dome is a great option for a high mountain with minimal exposure. There are few other mountains near 5000 feet i would have wanted to be on today with the high winds. I let the wind blow me across the pond in Carter Notch but it was actually hard coming back across with that wind in my face.

Last edited: