Staying Semi Thawed on Moosilauke 2/18/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
IMG_4431-L.jpg

I finally hiked a winter 4K on a classic day!!

It was clear, windy, and quite cold. Forecasted winds of 100 mph+ on Mt Washington made me nervous, but not enough to not attempt Moosiluake on Monday with my friend Justin. With a little luck, we would get up there in a semi lull and be able to stand proud.

Like I said, it was a cold morning...the temp was 4 degrees at the trailhead. The winds were howling out of the NW, and the walk along Ravine Lodge rd was loud-trees were moaning and creaking. There were a couple twigs and small branches down, and one widow maker about half way to the lodge. Steer clear of that one, you can't miss it!

Still a little cloud cover up there, but clear skies beckoned.
IMG_4365-L.jpg

So off we went up the gorge brook trail. This is my first winter ascent of this trail, and it was like a sidewalk (albeit an occasionally vertical one). There were no rocks, and the snow was firmly packed down, so even a 280+ guy like me didn't fall through. Still, I carried the snowshoes to use them, and after one posthole around 3800 feet, I strapped them on for the remainder of the climb. Most people could easily get away without the shoes right now.

When we got closer to treeline, I knew we were in for a special afternoon, cold and windy weather be damned. The sky was impossibly blue, and the contrast with the white snow and rime is absolutely breathtaking, and somewhat blinding.

IMG_4381-L.jpg

Views of the big peaks showing up now
IMG_4395-L.jpg

IMG_4400-L.jpg

summit ahead!
IMG_4412-L.jpg

Full on gear essential
IMG_4420-L.jpg

Proof
IMG_4426-L.jpg

The temp at the summit was zero degrees, with a steady 30 mph wind. So we really couldn't linger long. My toes are always on the verge of frostbite, even at home, so stopping for more than 5 or 10 min would have meant a trip to the amputation office.

Part of the 100 mile view on the way back...the lakes region looked 10 miles away
IMG_4442-L.jpg

Back into the trees
IMG_4447-L.jpg

IMG_4460-L.jpg

How about we end with Franconia Ridge up to Washington?
IMG_4469-L.jpg

So this is what it is really like to hike a winter 4k!? I've seen hundreds of trip reports that have awe inspiring pictures of snow, rime, and views. At least 95 percent of my winter hikes (including the low elevation stuff) are dominated by clouds. It is almost depressing. But yesterday was so uplifting. If it wasn't so darn cold, I'd probably hike more often.

The descent went quite quickly. The trail was so packed down, I could almost run back to the trailhead. We took a regrouping break at the "last sure water" and then made quick time back to the lodge, and then back along the road. We were completely out of the woods, and into the car before 5pm, with light to spare! Dinner consisted of broasted chicken and and huge slice of maple cream pie from P and H truck stop. I highly recommend that place, its cheap and the food is great.

Hope you liked! I know I did.

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...18-13/28083075_WHNKV2#!i=2372599891&k=XG4sJb7

When you pick a classic winter day, you don't mess around! Just gorgeous!! That first shot of the sky through the trees is amazing. Impossibly blue is a perfect description. The walk through the frosted trees along the summit ridge looks magical. I think one or two days something likes this early on were what got us hooked on winter hiking. You might only get them once in a while, but they're sure worth the wait!

Absolutely gorgeous photos! What a grand day you had up on the Moose. If it had only been a little warmer and less windy it would have been the perfect winter hike, right? Hey did Justin use those ski's it looked like he had on his back?

I've been on Moosilauke twice and never seen any views to the north. Only views to the south one of the two times. Looks like you picked a great day to go and I hope I do the same for trip #3 after seeing your pictures.

Beautiful day + stunning photos + enjoyable description of your adventure = excellent TR!
And . . . total agreement with your comments about P&H Truck Stop at Exit 17 (off I-91) at Wells River!:)

Phil,
Hiking the White Mountains in winter is outstanding; it maybe my favorite season. Between the snow and beautiful blue skies it doesn't get any better than that in my book. Glad you had a stellar day on Moosilauke.

Donna:)

Awesome pics--those are the days I dream of (well maybe minus the wind). Thanks for sharing!