Jeremy Jones - snowboarder and mountaineer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting piece.

I wonder how long it will be before we read his obit?

Interesting piece.

I wonder how long it will be before we read his obit?

About the same time we are reading Honnold's. That being said perhaps the Mountain Gods will spare them both.

Way back we used to have an official "Ski to Die Club." It was defined like this "YOU FALL, YOU DIE!"

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Last edited:
Yes. Everytime I read one of these pieces it occurs to me that even if I had the skills, I'd be afraid to fall.
Everyone makes mistakes, in the case of a Jones or a Honnold, the account ends up in an obituary.

Reinhold Messner was of the same envelope pushing caliber. When he finished the fourteen 8kers he said 'enough'. He'd had many close calls where an earlier or later start time would have put him in an avalance that killed partners. Or made a flip of the coin decision led him one way and the alternative would have been fatal.

I believe I read every book Reinhold ever wrote.
He was my hero for years.

I wonder how long it will be before we read his obit?[/QUOTE]

I agree. One thing that gets me is how fair is that to live that lifestyle when you have children? I for one feel that it selfish to try and do this whe they try to do both. Not only do the kids risk losing a father, he's probably gone a great deal of the time. I look at these types as a lottery ticket, eventually their number comes up. At least honnold is single.

Cool guy. Met him in Jackson Hole at the brewery a couple of years ago. He is definitely living life!
The risks that J takes are great but then again, you can pass by getting into a car and going to work as well IMHO.

One thing that gets me is how fair is that to live that lifestyle when you have children? I for one feel that it selfish to try and do this whe they try to do both. Not only do the kids risk losing a father, he's probably gone a great deal of the time. I look at these types as a lottery ticket, eventually their number comes up. At least honnold is single.

I read a good book about this aspect of mountaineering.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Mountain-Casts-Its-Shadow/dp/0312339011

Mountaineering enthusiasts of all varieties (from hands-on adventurers to armchair climbers) will see another side of their favorite sport in this poignant book. Instead of merely writing about climbing--the thrill, the excitement, the rush--the author discusses what she calls the personal costs of adventure. She writes about men and women climbers who have seen friends die or who have died themselves. She writes about the wives and husbands and lovers who stay behind, wondering if their loved ones will come home. It's a deeply moving perspective, and the author, whose own boyfriend, Joe Tasker, died on Mount Everest, approaches the subject with a grace and delicacy that are entirely appropriate. This isn't a book about heroes, about men and women who bravely lost their lives. It's about the way some men and women are driven, over and over again, to risk their lives in the pursuit of something few other people can even begin to understand--and the people they often leave behind.