Mt. Monroe via Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail + Crawford Path + Monroe Loop: 26-Feb-2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Can't really add anything to Lefty's trail conditions report. I traveled the same trails on the same day and experienced the same conditions that he described (see link below).
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...Ammonusuc-Ravine-Crawford-Monroe-Loop-2-26-13

I'll just add a trail-conditions "discovery" which is probably common knowledge to most, but it was new to me. Sometimes I'm oblivious to the obvious!:)

As anyone knows who has hiked the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail in winter, the steep sections above Gem Pool can sometimes present some traction issues. When XC-skiing, I regularly employ the side-step technique for ascending (and sometimes descending) steep slopes. Up until yesterday, it never dawned on me to use a similar technique to help with negotiating steep slopes when hiking! Duh! The light-bulb finally went on!

I did some experimenting using my Kahtoola KTS crampons, and then my MSR Evo snowshoes. Side-stepping worked better with crampons. It also worked with snowshoes, but was more awkward. Regardless of the footwear being used, side-stepping worked better than a straight-line frontal approach, at least on this particular day. For other days with different conditions, this technique might be of little help!

(For anyone unfamiliar with the side-step technique, as it pertains to XC skiing, click HERE for a 27-seconds Youtube video.)

A report + photos from my Monroe hike are at my BLOG.

Last edited: