Crater Rim To Car...St Helens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake L.

Reaction score
This isn't a NE 4K but I wanted to share part of my trip last week while I was in the Pacific Northwest with my brother dirt bagging it in a van. Spent some time at Hood but due to the extreme amount of snow that was falling didn't get above 6,000 feet. We still enjoyed some nice tours in the Hood region and had a stellar day on St Helens which was definitely the highlight of the trip, see below.

The "Worm Flows" winter route starts at the Marble Mountain Sno-Park (elev. 2,700 feet) where we made dirt bag camp #1. That night the mountain received 4-6" of fluff and things were shaping up perfectly for a summit bid in the AM. After some trailer hitch grits with bacon we were skinning by 6:45am through Douglas Fir and fresh snow. We soon came to tree line and the Sun was finally working its magic slowly lifting the veil on the mountain.
DSC00186.JPG

DSC00201.JPG

The temperature hovered in the mid 20's all day with no wind and made for very comfortable skinning in just thermals.
DSC00203.JPG

DSC00204.JPG

As we passed the magic elevation marker of 6,288 feet stoke increased as we had only another 2,000 feet to the rim.
DSC00213.JPG

DSC00215.JPG

The views were OK. Mt Adams makes an appearance.
DSC00218.JPG

DSC00222.JPG

We reached a point just below the crater rim at noon and made our transition.
DSC00229.JPG

DSC00234.JPG

Part 2 Below

The skiing was incredible! We hooted and hollered while we enjoyed the over 5,550 vertical feet of perfect turns back to the car.
DSC00236.JPG

DSC00237.JPG

DSC00238.JPG

DSC00240.JPG

A great day to be in the mountains!
DSC00242.JPG

Holy cow, 2 fabulous trips and trip reports posted in successive days. This and the Rainbow slide TR. Each spectacular.
After reading both a couple of times, will go back through this one and Mudrat's much more slowly so I can savor.
Thank you for putting up such an enjoyable trip report. Stunning photos.
It's been years since I was up on MSH. Summer trip the first year they were allowing people back after she blew her top.

Thanks everyone!

Looks like you won't forget about that for a while:D
No sir! :D

Holy cow, 2 fabulous trips and trip reports posted in successive days. This and the Rainbow slide TR. Each spectacular.
After reading both a couple of times, will go back through this one and Mudrat's much more slowly so I can savor.
Thank you for putting up such an enjoyable trip report. Stunning photos.
It's been years since I was up on MSH. Summer trip the first year they were allowing people back after she blew her top.
My Dad had gone up there soon after the eruption as well. He had always told us great stories about it when we were growing up and was definitely the inspiration for out stop there. Thanks!

Nice report. "Trailer Hitch Grits" ....now that sounds like a good recipe.

In the summer without the cornices, walking the rim is spectacular. When we were there, the rim was friable so there was constant rockfall into the crater. Rocks from pebble to VW Beetle size. It sounded like rainfall.
The lava dome was small, active and smoking. It's gotta be much larger 20 years+ later.
If it doesn't blow again, should first fill the crater and then rebuild the lost elevation. Too bad none of us will be around to see that.
Couldn't have explained this better myself: http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4146

Last edited:
Gorgeous photos. It must have been just awesome skiing down versus hiking. Umm, Maybe I got the wrong idea here, trudging down in snowshoes or boots off every mountain. This skiing thing has me thinking that I might be missing something big here!