Remote Backpacking/Fishing Trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nonlegit

Reaction score
Hey hey, I need you guys again. Always a great source of info here. I'm planning a trip back home sometime this summer, and I was sort of creating a trip in my head, only I have no idea where to start. I want to try out fishing some remote ponds/streams while on a backpacking trip. Now the backpacking part I have down pat, its just that I have never combined the two. Actually, I have never fly fished at all, but I will be working on that in the meantime (we used to just chuck spinner rods with worms into the stream and lift out brook trout). I need some trip ideas. I am game really for anything VT->East. I hear a lot of good things about Maine, and thats not a problem (done Katahdin and other Baxter trips a handful of times), although I am much more familiar with the Whites in NH. I am looking to do a 2-3 day trip, and would like as much of the "important" stuff as possible (seclusion/privacy, pretty views, good fishing - wild native brookies if possible...). I know I am asking for a lot here, but even if you get me started that will be better than where I stand now.

Also, any tips for carrying along fishing gear? I hear that a float tube is important for ponds... how the heck do you carry it? Deflated?

Thanks again all. Nice to be back on here checking stuff out again. Brings me back.

Adam

Adam,
You do have many possibilities. ONE idea hitting all your "important" points would be a backpacking trip in to or through the Pemi Wilderness. The brook trout would be wild, beautiful and small (some might say tiny.) If you fished streams rather than ponds your gear could be minimal and you could fish them a lot like you used to with a worm --- little room for much back casting in here. A small bead headed nymph works well. Check at The Mountain Wanderer shop for related books: http://www.mountainwanderer.com/index.php.
Good luck!

IMG_2083.jpgIMG_2102.jpg

Here's the list of Remote Trout Fisheries in NH stocked by Fish and Game.

"The N.H. Fish and Game Department manages selected waters to provide remote trout fishing experiences, meaning anglers have an opportunity to catch fish in a wilderness setting. In most cases remote trout fisheries are sustained through annually stocking trout fingerlings by helicopter. Because fishing pressure is light in these remote waters, the trout have the chance to grow to a catchable size in their natural environment."

The last few days of the 100 mile wilderness in Maine might fit your bill. You hike by a couple of large undeveloped lakes and hike along a couple of great streams. There are shuttlers that can drop you off at various road crossings or Kathadin air can fly you in.

AMC is also pushing their small hut system in Maine which are former commerical fishing camps they have bought and rehabbed. They have access to some wild trout (unstocked) ponds and gulf hagas. I dont have their trail map but expect you could do a loop and include a chunk of the AT.

For a real remote experience, the Freezeout trail in Baxter State Park gets little use and basically follows a river. I expect you could string some options together up in the NE corner of the park. There is also the new trails on Katahdin Lake. THe one thing to check is where in BSP can you fish? (I am not a fisherman but given that the majority of the park is a wilderness preserve, I am not sure where and if you can fish?)

I would think trips in the Pemi, Dry River, Rocky Branch, or Wild River country could give you what you're after.

Backpacking with a float tube could be a real drag, IMO. I have done long (week-plus) trips with a two-piece fly rod, though. Easy enough, just strap it to your pack like anything else, and carry a light array of gear. A four-piece would pack better, obviously.

Tenkara seems kind of crazy to me, but I can kind of see the appeal of making the game harder for yourself in pursuit of elegance -- like tele skiing or learning to play a fretless instrument. Those tenkara rods are LONG, though -- hard to see how they would pack well.

I can't help you out here but it was nice seeing you post. We go way back and I always enjoyed what you shared back in the "good old days." Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Maddy

Anyone ever hear of "Tenkara" setups? A weekend full of googling here at work led me to this pretty interesting get up. Seems cool.

I've given it a little thought. Be aware that it's not legal yet for NH's fly fishing only waters yet. Last I knew, Fish and Game staff were working on a proposal for a rule change to be effective in 2014. It's legal tackle otherwise in NH.

I've given it a little thought. Be aware that it's not legal yet for NH's fly fishing only waters yet. Last I knew, Fish and Game staff were working on a proposal for a rule change to be effective in 2014. It's legal tackle otherwise in NH.

I'm wondering why this would not be legal. Does the lack of a reel (fixed line) make this setup outside the common definition of fly fishing? It does sound like an interesting light-weight/space saving fishing rig.

I can't help you out here but it was nice seeing you post. We go way back and I always enjoyed what you shared back in the "good old days." Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Maddy

Haha thanks Maddy. I look back at some of those posts and I just crack up. They're beyond funny.

And to Mr. Rankin, forever non-legit!

ETA:
Still Steppin - Gorgeous fish.
sardog1 - thanks for the heads up...thats a major bummer.
mirabela - I was under the impression that some of these rods were collapsible, correct me if needed because I am not very familiar with fly fishing as a whole.

Last edited: