Ski/Hike Combo Trip Zealand Hut

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montana

Reaction score
Quick question. Is it common for people to ski into Zealand Hut via Zealand Road/Trail and then bag Zealand or Hale? Returning to hut to ski Zealand Trail/road out. With the snow pack I assume the conditions are ripe for this.

Thanks.

Every MLK weekend my winter wife and I stay at Zealand Hut. Over the years I’ve seen scores of families heading in on skis. I have yet to master the technique so I just pull a pulk with my snowshoes.

Quick question. Is it common for people to ski into Zealand Hut via Zealand Road/Trail and then bag Zealand or Hale? Returning to hut to ski Zealand Trail/road out. With the snow pack I assume the conditions are ripe for this.

Thanks.

The answer's yes. Sking up the road, and even to the hut is quite doable. You'll want snowshoes from the hut to the summit of Zealand, however.

Last edited:
There is, or at least was, a trail along the north side of the road that you could hike or ski. We skied it a couple of times to the hut for an overnight. It was a bit twisty, turny with lots of little ups and downs. The road is far quicker. The trail from the end of the road was an easy ski.

Thanks for the responses. Makes me think:
Ski to Hale Brook Trail
Up and over Hale to Zealand Hut via snow shoes on Lend a Hand
Ski out Zealand Trail/road

Might not be a great idea to carry skis getting them caught on every spruce branch in the WMNF.

Thanks to all for the responses.

My three season wife doesn’t winter hike so one our girlfriends stands in for her. I call her my wife because she get to slap me around if I get out of line, unfortunately there is no friends with benefits clause.

There is, or at least was, a trail along the north side of the road that you could hike or ski. We skied it a couple of times to the hut for an overnight. It was a bit twisty, turny with lots of little ups and downs. The road is far quicker.

The "Spruce Goose" as I recall. The road is definitely quicker, if less interesting.