Double Northeast 111 (115) Winter Finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
As most of you know, this report covers the 4000 foot peaks in four states (NY (48), VT (5), NH (48), and ME (14)). Procook131 and I finished the Winter 111 on 3/3/13 on Mount Mansfield in Vermont. He lives in Stowe and can see it out his door, so it was a fitting peak to finish up on. We thought we were saving an easy one for the finish. It is a short hike, less than 2.5 miles, and we felt kind of guilty with such an easy hike after so many hard ones, especially in Maine. But the mountain got its revenge, and we were met with 20 mph winds, near zero visibility, and freezing fog coating everything (including goggles) when we got above treeline. With some faint snowshoe tracks to follow and the GPS we were able to climb the last rocky approach and find the summit. It was not a place for a celebration, however, just time enough for a picture and get out of there--but then, we've had to do that many times . . . mountains in winter are not always friendly places. Don't worry, we had plenty of time for partying and celebration AFTER we got off the mountain. :) :) :)

We climbed all the 14 peaks in Maine and 3 of 5 in Vermont together this winter, although we climbed about two-thirds of the 111 separately. We teamed up because some of these mountains are not reasonable for solo hiking in winter, even for experienced hikers. The mountains in Maine were especially difficult with a lot of trailbreaking and deep snow. Except for aspiring W111ers (or NE W67ers), there are few people hiking there in winter. All the more beautiful, but definitely more difficult! Climbing Mt Katahdin in January was definitely an experience.

Looking back--seeing and climbing all these mountains in winter in all kinds of weather was a great experience--one we will never forget.

Congratulations!

Hard day to be up there. My kids and I spent the afternoon skiing at the resort, and it was blowing down there. Tough finish, way to earn it!

Last edited:
Very impressive! I'm these adventures will linger with you for a lifetime! Cherish and here's to more great adventure in the future. :)

". . . mountains in winter are not always friendly places.": Joe Cedar. By completing the NE 115, you guys have no doubt experienced a lot of long slogs, and a variety weather and trail conditions. It's a great feeling and accomplishment ... enjoy!

Thanks, Dennis. You know this even better than I do!!!

Hope you and Sonny will get back to doing some trail work and partying with the 46ers in August.

Joe

Joe and Dave
Great job,
Partnering up with someone else affords a higher level of comfort for winter hiking and its also nice to finish with a friend
Congratulations to you both