Extreme Sledding in or near the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We slid down a bit of Pine Bend but took snowshoes off to do that. Seems safer that way. Am I too cautious?

Also, someone above made the point about hikers coming up a trail. That's really important for sliders to remember, especially if they are coming down earlier in the day when others might still be hiking up.

Also, someone above made the point about hikers coming up a trail. That's really important for sliders to remember, especially if they are coming down earlier in the day when others might still be hiking up.
A slider can also take out a hiker going down too. An uphill hiker at least has a chance of seeing the slider in time to take evasive action...

Doug

Last edited:
I like to use my snowboogie made by Wham-O, which I bought at EMS a couple of years ago. I've used it on Tecumseh Trail twice and on Crawford Path on Pierce. I wish I had brought it for many others this winter.

It weighs nothing and straps to the pack pretty easily with a couple of straps, although most would probably consider it bulky for strapping to a pack, but its nothing if you're headed up for a quick summit. It works best on trails that have a luge-like track to it, and takes some time learning how to control it.

The times I've sledded on the trail was late afternoon or very early morning, always taking into consideration the hiking traffic.
IMG_1318.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 99
Carter-Moriah Trail from Dome down to the Notch

Osceola Trail from East peak down to Greely Ponds Trail

Kinsman Ridge Trail from Cannon down to the trailhead

Be careful on one section of Kinsman Ridge Trail, part of the way down from Cannon. In Dec 2011, on the way down from Cannon, I *think* it was after Coppermine Col, there was a washout section with a nice sheer dropoff. IHMO, didn't look like something that was easily repairable. That said, anyone know if this has been rerouted?

I've seen folks on 2 occasions sledding down sections of Liberty Springs Trail; don't know that I can recommend it - beware of the many trees. I've leaned back on my snowshoes in places on this trail last weekend, and had a pretty good ride, though. :)

Mike

Best sledding/butt sliding I've had was on the Lincoln Gap Road in Vermont from the east side (Waitsfield). Pull a sled up to the summer trailhead, hike Mt. Abe, and enjoy a fast ride down.

Lowes Path works, too, for a nice long ride from about Gray Knob to the Log Cabin.

I tried butt sliding Lincoln Gap Road on Monday, and I have to say it desperately needs a sled. Butt-sliding without one was a total failure.

I tried butt sliding Lincoln Gap Road on Monday, and I have to say it desperately needs a sled. Butt-sliding without one was a total failure.

We are heading to VT to do the Abraham and Ellen Traverse North to South so we can sled down Lincoln Gap Road - which side offers better sledding, the East side or the West side?