Extreme Sledding in or near the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hello All!

So I picked up a couple of "Zipfys" (http://www.amazon.com/Zipfy-Freestyle-Mini-Luge-Snow/dp/B001UJGU22) a month ago and then are unbelievably fun in the correct conditions (packed but not icy conditions).

Anybody have any ideas where "moderate" or "extreme" sledding with these things is possible? I'm looking for roadside hills, closed mountain roads, hills you can hike to, closed ski resorts, etc.)

Here is a list of places where I know that they are commonly used:
  • Pleasant Mountain, Maine
  • Cathedral Ledge Road, North Conway
  • Hurricane Mountain Road, North Conway
  • Ski Resorts (illegal at some but seems tolerated at others, especially after the season is closed)

Anywhere else that they can be (relatively) safely used?

Thanks!

Greg,

Sledding on one of those on trails may be as hazardous to those ascending as it would be for you. With butt sliding, you can slow yourself down with snowshoes and your hands. Not so sure about that mini-luge.

Thanks for the memory on the extreme ironing, which we saw in 2006 on Mansfield :cool::)

Marty

It's a pretty steep climb up, but the lower part of Hitchock Gully on Mt. Willard is an awesome slide down when the snow conditions are good. I've done it on my butt a few times after rappelling down off of the upper routes.

Consider using New Engalnd Lost Ski Area Project's website www.nelsap.org as a resource. I'm sure that some of the areas that were closed long ago are completely overgrown. But, some of the more recently closed areas might offer enough of a cleared path to get in a decent sled run. As an example, Evergreen Valley was a ski area located on WMNF property in Lovell, ME. It closed sometime in the 80's. You would likely find snowmobile paths up to the summit as there is some decent riding in that area. But, the riding up the old ski area is definitely "off trail" so I doubt that there would be much traffic. I haven't been up there in a few years so "YMMV"

Thanks for the tip on Pleasant MT, I have skied there, hiked there, sledded on the ski trails as a kid, snowmobiled to the top, but I have never thought of sledding the Fire Wardens trail. One more thing to add to the bucket list!!

The Headwall at Tuck's?

It has been done on a SwissBob

Also the Upper Snowfields on the East side of Mt Washington.

Best sledding/butt sliding I've had was on the Lincoln Gap Road in Vermont from the east side (Waitsfield). Pull a sled up to the summer trailhead, hike Mt. Abe, and enjoy a fast ride down.

Lowes Path works, too, for a nice long ride from about Gray Knob to the Log Cabin.

Both of the Hancocks and Ammo Ravine have good glissade routes. Osseo trail thru the ladders section. The very upper section of Valley Way - just before treeline. Sections of Pine Bend Brook.

Carter-Moriah Trail from Dome down to the Notch

Osceola Trail from East peak down to Greely Ponds Trail

Kinsman Ridge Trail from Cannon down to the trailhead

Yoga on Bondcliff?

DPP_751.JPG

Hah! Once witnessed a group of 10-12 folks doing yoga on top of Mt. Whitney.

:rolleyes: Californians...

I have done a few 4000 footers on the swissbobs which are similar to these zippies. Imho an ideal sled for new england hiking trails is

A) one where you can control the turning at high speeds
B) one that is higher off the ground so that you could ride it while wearing your backpack
C) one you can stop quickly

Bonus: one that could be somehow worn as a backpack on the way up (external frame) and one that is also lightweight

Discounting the bonus part, the best idea that I found was a (not kidding) sled designed by Porshe. :)

It is a basic sled design. You can stop it by planting your feet , yanking the front up thus digging the rear bars into the snow.

lnx_948749_porsche_sled_hr.jpg

Last edited:
With lots of snow, or enough anyway, the Webster-Jackson loop rules with a sled.