Zealand/Bonds 3-9-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmattd

Reaction score
Had a number of people drop out, so we now have a small group doing the traverse. Leaving LinWood at 5AM, boots on trail at Zealand Road basically as soon as we get there (before 6AM). Targeting 12-13 hours, but conditions will dictate the ultimate pace. These are the final 4 for my W4K so I plan to enjoy what is shaping up to be an awesome day!

Experienced winter hikers up for a 23mi, 5000ft gain hike (with likelihood of at least 1/2 that on snowshoes) are welcome. PM or reply here.

(with likelihood of at least 1/2 that on snowshoes) are welcome. PM or reply here.

That's a safe bet - did this trek last weekend (south to north) and we used them end-to-end.

Snowmobilers have been using the Zealand Road (and parallel ski trails also). Their tracks softened up the boot track, slowing down progress.

Snowmobilers have been using the Zealand Road (and parallel ski trails also). Their tracks softened up the boot track, slowing down progress.
Yea, I saw a few from presumably your group mentioned that on NETC. My understanding was that snomos were not permitted on Zealand Road, and certainly not ski trails, but I guess that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Hopefully with us being in there before they typically roll out of their trailers, it'll be firm enough to not bother us.

By the way, thanks to your gang for breaking out the trails! :D

If possible I might see if I can get a ride from LW up to Zealand parking. I hike with my Norwegian Elkhound Thor and am slow on the steeps so I would not be able to keep up for the traverse. I will have an abreviated tent/footprint and bag with me for a possible overnight if its necessary. May check about another ride option as well. Just got the oh so sweet news I must do a brake job tonight on my car as well as pack!

If possible I might see if I can get a ride from LW up to Zealand parking.

Dave, let me know if you need it. I'm not sure of the car situation right now, but there's a chance we might be able to help you two out.