Vose Spur 3/9/2013 - what a day!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Espy

Reaction score
Finally tagged Vose Spur yesterday after 2 unsuccessful attempts last winter. It was a gorgeous bluebird day with temps rising to high 40's. Used my ice axe many, many times to knock off the clumps of snow on my snowshoes. Looked for shade whenever I stopped for a break. Stream crossing was easy. The last 1/4 mile push to the summit almost whipped my butt. Took my time on the first 1/4 mile descent, after that cruised pretty well. View from the scree field was amazing!!

Vose Spur: Can be a real challenge anytime ... more so in winter!

Vose Spur ... The last 1/4 mile push to the summit almost whipped my butt. ... View from the scree field was amazing!!
Good to hear you finally got this peak, Espy! The final approach to Vose Spur is steep no matter which way you go. This peak is one of my favorite all time bushwhacks. There is a mostly open woods ridge route and twist to the summit that saves that "butt whipping" thick stretch. Was this your first time to the top?

Good to hear you finally got this peak, Espy! The final approach to Vose Spur is steep no matter which way you go. This peak is one of my favorite all time bushwhacks. There is a mostly open woods ridge route and twist to the summit that saves that "butt whipping" thick stretch. Was this your first time to the top?

Thanks, Dennis. I reached the peak in May of 1995, but wanted to do it in winter too. Last winter's attempts were with a friend who was not quite as determined to reach the top as I was. The first time, we got to within a quarter mile of the summit. It was a tough decision to turn around, but probably a wise one considering the time of day, weather, terrain, etc. Next on my list is Scar Ridge, West Pk, which I've also done before, but not in winter.

Thanks Jason. I'm hoping to get in one more peak before winter officially ends. We'll see what the weather brings.

Next on my list is Scar Ridge, West Pk, which I've also done before, but not in winter.

Espy, if trail breaking isn't a major issue (snow consolidated?), consider doing the other two Scar Ridge peaks on the same trip (loop hike). Why? Right now you're probably after the NE 100 highest. In a year or two and you'll want the NH 100 highest ... and beyond!

Espy, if trail breaking isn't a major issue (snow consolidated?), consider doing the other two Scar Ridge peaks on the same trip (loop hike). Why? Right now you're probably after the NE 100 highest. In a year or two and you'll want the NH 100 highest ... and beyond!

That's probably a good idea. Thanks.