Adam Wilcox completes first Winter Full Hut Traverse - Solo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
On March 9th, In 23 hours and 7 minutes, Mr. Adam Wilcox crossed the entire White Mountain Hut System, starting at Carter Notch Hut and finishing at Lonesome Lake.

An amazing, historic, athletic feat which has been finally achieved.

Success? Well, yes. I crossed the mountains in winter with a 27 pound pack. But what did I personally achieve? Nothing terribly impressive. The feat was accomplished because I had so much help, open buildings for shelter all the way, heat in some of them, friendly caretakers to visit, packed trails very foot of the way, plenty of other people around ( at times)
- Guy Waterman, "Wilderness Ethics"

Sorry, Mr. Waterman. Adventure is NOT dead - it's only limited by your imagination. Buildings don't kill adventure if you don't choose to sleep in them.

It's a vision thing.

A hearty congratulations to Adam on this!

An amazing athletic feat to say the least! A well deserved congratulations to Adam! :D

Pretty Nice Day for That Kind Of Wanderin'

What the day looked like:
Hiker-on-Monroe_2552.jpg

(This image was taken at 8:50am - I had started up from Crawford Notch, and was waiting for Adam on Monroe, guessing that he would hop over it to avoid the steep chute on the "horse trail" around Monroe.
As it was, he went around at the same time I was going over summit loop from the South and goofing around with photo gear. Just missed him!)

He certainly picked outstanding weather for the traverse.

Awesome Adam--congratulations! It appears as though fatherhood is agreeing with you!
Great write up on your blog, too.

The one-day winter Mahoosuc Traverse awaits (just sayin')... :D

I realize there are some amazing hikers out there (and on here), but this still just boggles my mind. I just wish I was good enough to think about trying something like a single day presi-traverse. Many congrats to Adam