Moriah via Stony Brook Trail and Carter-Moriah Trail 3/9/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
In the absence Mike (NH Tramper), who is climbing Mt. Washington today, I offered to step in and do his usual conditions report. Though I didn't have the wherewithal to stay up late last night typing out not only my report, but this. :p

Conditions: We encountered a well packed, firm, snowshoe track that led all the way up to the summit of Moriah. It appeared that the Carter-Moriah Trail to the south of the Stony Brook junction had been traveled as well. Moriah Brook and Kenduskeag Trails showed no evidence of travel, and their signs were nearly buried, only the top edge and top of the post were visible. There was one whack around blowdown on upper Carter-Moriah, which I didn't even notice on the way up, but the snowshoe track takes you around it. Snow softening on the way down, few postholes.

Equipment: 5 of the 6 in our group used snowshoes the whole way, but our lone barebooter (wearing spikes) did little to no damage, and was kind enough to keep her postholes off the trail. ;)

Comments: A fantastic hike with Northeast Peakbaggers, being lead by Mike. We took a leisurely pace (after a leisurely, mid-morning start time), and it ended up being a nice stroll in the woods and on the ledges of Moriah. I was pining for the Presidentials after our failed traverse attempt on Thursday, but I kept my vocalization of such to a minimum. Thanks to Mike, Samantha, Donna, Cynthia, and Li for an awesome day out!

Here's my full REPORT on the hike.