Solo Tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking into purchasing a solo tent. The person doesn't do much backpacking, but does canoe trip, so weight is less of an issue. Any suggestions on brands and where to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Fitz.

REI Quarter Dome 2 person is great for one. Leaves room for gear. I found the single person tents to be too small for me. (I'm 6'1")

I've found that a trap rigged between two trees can be an excellent comfort option adding living and cooking room to a small tent.

This is my suggestion as well. An 8x10 or 10x12 tarp strung over a rope between two trees works great. You have a lot more room than in a tent, and I've stayed far drier under a setup like this than I ever have in any tent. Also it's lighter than carrying a tent (although you said weight was not an issue).

I also carry a bug net to use beneath the tarp in bug season.

Last edited:
Best way to buy a tent is to go to your local outfitter with sleeping bag, pad, and other gear that you want in your tent at night. Then, practice setting up different tents in the store and seeing how they fit you with your gear. Try sitting up in the tent and changing clothes. (that being said, Hubba and Hubba-Hubba tents are popular recently.)

If weight really is not an issue: I'd go with a decent free standing 2 or 3 person tent and maybe set up a tarp over that.
If you gave us more info about his budget and primary concerns, that would help.

The Microlight FS 2 from LL Bean is a great freestanding tent & a pretty good value. Compare it too the Huba-Huba fron MSR

Fitz,

I have the REI Quarter Dome and a footprint to go with it. It was bought at an REI garage sale and I may never use it, since I am usually hiking with my dog. Its in like new condition. I would part with it at what ever I paid at the time. My cell is 978-944-6217. You do get the added benefit of the bug screening over a tarp but its close quarters to sleep in. Picture a bivy you can sit up in!;-)

For canoe tripping, I'd go with a two- or three-person tent. If weight is not an issue, you might as well camp in style. But for those attracted by the thread's title, here are my two cents for solo shelter when weight is a factor.

Years ago, including when I was working on the ADK 46, I used an 8x10 tarp in the manner DSettahr recommends. It works wonderfully well, and indeed will keep you dry in the heaviest of downpours. When hiking, it can be easily and compactly lashed to the side of your pack. I would bring a lightweight nylon rope, use in situ twigs as stakes, and my emergency safety blanket as a ground cloth if the ground was wet.

Now however, largely because I got a pro-deal, I use the one-person Big Agnes Seedhouse SL. With a packed weight of 2.5 lbs, the weight penalty is minimal. My one complaint is that, because the vestibule does not have hoop to help cover it, water usually gets into the tent if the vestibule door is open during rain. This is not a big deal if you're only opening the vestibule when you enter and exit the tent and, doing so relatively quickly, but it does mean that you can't have the vestibule open to cook in or for extra air/view when you're tent-bound by inclement weather. Solo tents, by nature, tend not to be palatial, however, I have never felt cramped in the Seedhouse SL.

Thank you for all the advice. I passed it on and I know they bought one - I just don't know which one!!

Cheers,

Fitz