Mt Isolation; Rocky Branch rail, Engine Hill BW, Davis Path 3/09/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
March 09 2013 Saturday
Trails:
Rocky branch trail, Engine Hill BW, Iso trail, Davis Path to Mt Isolation 3/09/13

Trail Condition: Excellent, well broken out and defined, especially when I finished. EH BW starts ~ 300 ft past the carved "T” on the tree and is a bit serpentine but very scenic through the pristine snow in the birch glades. No blow-downs except the big slight duck-under one already reported. Fir trees are basically dry so no raining from the trees in the warm weather 40+ degrees on this hike, but there are big clumps of snow on them that suddenly plop down with load thuds - one caught me. Crossings still all solidly bridged except for a few small step overs that are easily visible. Mid-day the snow was turning into mashed potatoes and clumping but as soon as the shadows started growing it got crunchy again. I noticed along the BW that there were many potential spruce traps just 6" off the trail - be careful if you step aside for other hikers or go off trail for relief.

Equipment: I wore snowshoes from start to finish, but much of the trail was hard packed enough to bare boots. More traction could have been used on the very last short scramble, but there are some small trees holds to help.

Comments: A great day for my 48th NH4k :D:). Nine hikers and a dog on the mountain today; Jack from Littleton NH, Art "Emeral?" from VT, “Skarpi” with his cousin and his dog "Alaska?" ( Skarpy posted a trip report on VFTT), "cindysmom" who found my cellphone and left it at the TH for me. Thanks. and evidently Lucky Laura visited the trail head after doing Passaconaway and met Scarpy & company there and left me a nice congratulatory note (and a bar chocolate?) at my truck - Thanks

Trip report and most pictures are on my signature website below.