The End of Vermont? - Killington Peak 3/10/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
After an amazing day on Abe and Ellen last Saturday we followed it up with an equally beautiful day for Killington on Sunday. I'm really glad that we decided to bag our last couple of hikes and come back for a better day. These were definitely the better days! The hike up was great and the butt sledding down was even better. Perfect way to finish VT with #58 of our NE67 and #62 of Kim's W67. Now it's on to Maine... And the end of Vermont? I don't think so!

Here's the blog and all the pics: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-end-of-vermont-killington-peak.html

and some of the day's fun...

Another beautiful day in the winter forest
dsc02340.jpg

Working to get to the views
dsc02345.jpg

And the work was worth all the effort!
IMG_5745.JPG

Nice! I kind of misunderstood your title at first, but I was in agreement -- the development aspect of "K-Mart" is somewhat repulsive, IMO, just a bit more soulless and crass and in-your-face than what you find on other VT ski mountains. Still, nice mountain from a hiking standpoint. Good Abe & Ellen report, too -- glad you had nice weather for those after the previous attempt. That ridge is a beauty.

Nice! I kind of misunderstood your title at first, but I was in agreement -- the development aspect of "K-Mart" is somewhat repulsive, IMO, just a bit more soulless and crass and in-your-face than what you find on other VT ski mountains. Still, nice mountain from a hiking standpoint. Good Abe & Ellen report, too -- glad you had nice weather for those after the previous attempt. That ridge is a beauty.

Thanks Matt. I had to laugh when I read your comment - I hadn't actually thought of that potential interpretation of the title. The only glimpse of the ski area was what we saw walking across the summit so I'm not sure how to personally compare it. I generally don't like mountains with ski areas or development on the summits, but they're kind of hard to avoid in Vermont since it's the case for 4 out of 5 4000 footers. At least with Killington you don't deal with the ski area when you're hiking it from the other side. The towers on the other hand...

You're definitely right about the Monroe Skyline being a beautiful trail! Already looking forward to getting back up there again.