Where is the best place to get mountain weather reports?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that link - it wasn't one I was familiar with.

I primarily use 4 links - one to WeatherUnderground, and then I choose Lincoln, Bretton Woods and Berlin to get a range in temps. I check NWS, as you can select pin-point locations. I also check the Mt Washington OBS, with its multiple links, especially the graphs showing temps and windspeeds. The OBS is rather conservative in it's long-range projections - anything more than 12-18 hours. Finally, I check Intellicast, as you can zoom out and see national radar in real-time - very helpful is observing the path/speed of approaching storms.

As for the Bonds - you should have no issues. I did them recently, and a group of hiking buds did them yesterday. There are no major storms in the offing.

Last edited:
Being in Vermont, the first place I go is Eye on The Sky, which has a detailed mountain forecast for the ADK, Vermont, and the Whites. The summary they give as to what is going to happen over the course of the day is excellent, and I have found many, many times that their take on mountain weather in the Northeast is what actually plays out when other forecasts blow it.

Being in Vermont, the first place I go is Eye on The Sky, which has a detailed mountain forecast for the ADK, Vermont, and the Whites. The summary they give as to what is going to happen over the course of the day is excellent, and I have found many, many times that their take on mountain weather in the Northeast is what actually plays out when other forecasts blow it.

Tim - I used to listen to their forecast all the time on VPR when I lived in VT. Question - does their website publish the forecast early enough in the morning to actually be of use? I.e., by 5-ish or so? Years ago the OBS didn't publish their forecast until after you were at a trailhead, but fortunately it comes out (usually) early enough to be useful the day of the hike.

Kevin, I just called to find out and spoke to Mark Breen himself, who said that it's generally posted between 6:30 and 7. Not ideal, but I have found even their insights as to what is happening the next day are second to none.

Last edited:
Kevin, I just called to find out and spoke to Mark Green himself, who said that it's generally posted between 6:30 and 7. Not ideal, but I have found even their insights as to what is happening the next day are second to none.
Thanks, Tim - and a second on their prognostications. A minor nit - I think his last name is Breen? In any case - he and Steve Maleski are a great team.

This won't help those of you in NH, but the best forecasts for the Green Mountains and ADK is NOAA's Mountain Point Forecast. It gives you forecasts for most of the major mountain summits in Vermont and upstate New York. If they have a similar resource for NH or Maine, it's not something of which I'm aware.

While I do consult the OBS site for my forecast, I find that the forecast can be downgraded for other peaks then Washington or say the northern peaks. They tend to forecast on the extreme side imo.

I am a fan of the National Weather Service Higher Summits Forecast which applies to the mountains of western Maine & the mountains of New Hampshire. The forecast can be found on the home page for the Gray/Portland ME office of the National Weather Service. In the left column is a section for different forecasts. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=REC&node=KGYX

I find the forecast to be accurate though sometimes a bit gloomier than reality. Most importantly, this forecast is updated between 3am - 4am each morning as well as in the afternoon. I find that update scheduling to be most accommodating for my lifestyle & decision making needs.

I am another long-time fan of the Eye on the Sky guys: Mark, Steve, and the new guy, Lawrence Hayes. They are usually spot on with their forecasts and do a great job explaining weather to their audience. Also love their "Eye on the Night Sky" segment. (I believe they also give the planetarium shows at the Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury.)

I am a fan of the National Weather Service Higher Summits Forecast which applies to the mountains of western Maine & the mountains of New Hampshire. The forecast can be found on the home page for the Gray/Portland ME office of the National Weather Service. In the left column is a section for different forecasts. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=REC&node=KGYX

I find the forecast to be accurate though sometimes a bit gloomier than reality. Most importantly, this forecast is updated between 3am - 4am each morning as well as in the afternoon. I find that update scheduling to be most accommodating for my lifestyle & decision making needs.

This one is my favorite as well.

Tim

The National Weather Service point forecasts are pretty good:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.16096&lon=-71.64455&site=gyx&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

I always get to them through Mohamed Ellozy's 4000 footer site, because I can never remember where is it.

This is also my favorite site. You can strip off everything from the html adress after the lon value, and can change the lat & lon to any values and check the differant peaks, or try to get close with the map that is included. I usually keep a few candidate mountain tops on my desktop and follow the weather the week before a planned hike. Out of 48 mts I only got bad weather on two trips and they were both on impulse with out checking forecasts. My last peak (mt isolation) is:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=44.2147&lon=-71.3093

Agreed with the Eye in the Sky..I think they do the best job. But also checking the Obs, Wunderground, and the Noaa site. Winds are the toughest thing and the Eye in the Sky elevation winds seems to work pretty well. Also have the weather radio on every morning