Tubbs Bear Hug Binding?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobcat

Reaction score
This question is for users of the tubbs Bear Hug binding

I have used Atlas snowshoes, 30"s, for several years and liked their bindings. I purchased a pair of Tubbs Pinnacle, 25"s, this year as a second pair because I liked the agressive crampons and wanted something a little smaller. They camew with Bear Hug bindings which work well on uphill and flat terrain, but descents are a problem. My boots seem to slip forward in the bindings and that makes them get tight. It also makes the heel strap loose. I typically use a pair of Montrail Morraines with them so it is a stiff and solid pair of leather boots. I can't really tighten them down any more without making them uncomfortable.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Simple solutions? Should I send them back to Tubbs to get the TD91 bindings?

Bobcat,

My advice would be to get rid of the Bear Hug bindings. Tubbs has always come through with regards to customer service. If you give them a call and let them know that you are unhappy with the Bear Hug binding and would like to know if they could send you a TD91 as a replacement, I am willing to bet they would do it no questions asked. In fact, they will probably send you the TD91s first, and ask you to send back the Bear Hugs after you receive the TD91s. I suspect that they get this request fairly often, so it shouldn't really come as a shock to them.

I have the same snowshoes you do (except with the TD91 bindings) and I really like them.

John

Change in policy

It is no longer Tubbs policy to accomodate customer request to change bindings model.

I have a pair of Mountain 25 that I just sent for repair last week with a broken RCS binding. I asked them if they could replace with the TD91 instead and they
refused.
:(

It is no longer Tubbs policy to accomodate customer request to change bindings model.
This is very disappointing. I have always had great luck with their customer service. As of last winter they were still exchanging bindings.

I imagine that Tubbs will give you the bindings if you are willing to pay for them. I just got a new set of crampons from them. The TD-91 bindings are in my opinion the best in the market.

-percious

percious said:
I imagine that Tubbs will give you the bindings if you are willing to pay for them. I just got a new set of crampons from them. The TD-91 bindings are in my opinion the best in the market.

-percious

I like the TD91's as well (aka ControlWing ?)

I've never tried the newer bearhug or neXus binding systems.

Here's Tubbs customer service info

tubbs bindings

i have the pinnacles also but i can't say i've had any problem w/ my foot sliding forward (bear hug bindings). i'm trying to think why that might happen. just by the way the front part wraps on your boot is would seem difficult for this to happen. are you setting them up so that your heel is back on the little heel plate and so the front part is hugging the correct area of your foot/boot? initially i had my foot pushed too far forward and the tip of my boot was hitting the plastic but never slipped. what kind of boot are you wearing w/ them? do you wear a really large size boot so that maybe the binding isn't able to hug enough of the boot to keep it immobile? personally i love these bindings as they are so easy and quick to get on and off. my hiking buddy is still strapping his on while i'm already off and down the trail! and the crampons are so huge it's almost ridiculous but they sure can come in handy trying to climb up steep slopes!

Montrail Morraines size 9

I usually wear Montrail Morraines size 9's. I definitly start out with them pretty snug and I do get my foot properly positioned on the base. When I mention that they tighten up on the downhills, I mean fairly steep downhills doing sort of lunge steps so they do get torked pretty well. I think my feet and boots may be alittle small for the bear hug because each half of the binding pretty much meets in the middle when I get them cranked down well.

I 'm hearing positive things about the TD91's so I think I'm going to take this up with Tubbs and see what they can do for me about swapping them out. I was hopping some one had a magic bullet sort of solution but it doesn't sound like it.

Thanks All!

I wear a size 8 shoe and have no problems with the Bear Hug binding on either the Pinnacle 25's or the Mountain 30 (similar binding with another strap).

I have talked to Tubb's about a differnt binding though as I want one that will fit the overboots I bought. The bindings actually come in differant sizes. They recommended going to a retail store to determine the binding and size I wanted, then contacting them to order what I want.

Tubbs will replace with the TD91- No Charge

For anyone interested:

I called Tubbs today and they offered/agreed to send me a pair of TD91's free of charge. They would like me to send back the Bear Hugs, which of course I will do.

Thanks All!

Bobcat said:
For anyone interested:

I called Tubbs today and they offered/agreed to send me a pair of TD91's free of charge. They would like me to send back the Bear Hugs, which of course I will do.

Thanks All!

that is awesome.